Xantia 1.9TD Fuel tank draining

Hi Guys,

Now im moving onto sell are 1.9td it has not far off a full tank of fuel and i dont think ill use that much at all before the insurance runs out on it or i sell it on.

Ive been thinking about syphoning the tank off and tried some garden hose down the filler neck but it gets about a metre down and no further and no where near the fuel, kid of like a mid box i think, and was wondering what other ways i could drain the system, IE is there an easy to access fuel pump in the tank that i could whip the hose off, attach another fuel line and apply voltage too and feed that off into a storage tank or my other Xantia at all??

Thanks for any advice in advance, Will

Reply to
Will Morrow

On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:35:32 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appeared from Will Morrow:

Just add the cost of the fuel to what the next buyer pays for the car. Simple.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Open offside rear passengers door, lift up seat base, lift carpet , remove plastic bung, take hammer and large Screwdriver and unscrew ring around fuel sender unit, remove and syphon fuel!! to refit f**k about with rubber seal to make it fit screw ring back on (aided by hammer and large Screwdriver) (repeat as necessary when rubber seal doesn't fit. It's as easy as that...

Des

Reply to
Des

If you really must bother with this, try a smaller diameter tube. Garden hose is far too big but you might get 1/4" bore pipe down it. I did.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Have you got a compressor? If you have, undo the flow and return hoses from under the bonnet and blow air into the return one. Fuel will either come out of the other hose, or you tank will explode. Simple. Obviously the filler cap needs to be in place.

This worked for me with a Pug 405 diesel, but not a BMW 730i which seemed to have some sort of fuel cut off gizmo preventing it.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Or a fuel pump.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thanks guys :o)

Ill probably give this method a try try and see how it goes and report back when i get home to let you know which was best :o)

Reply to
Will Morrow

Isn't it an electric fuel pump?

Just get a length of hose long enough to go from where the fuel line goes into the filter to a can. Undo fuel line from tank side of where it goes into the filter and put your hose on it, securing with a jubilee clip. Turn on ignition and fuelpump should kick in.

Reply to
Conor

Im pretty sure its mechanical unless it is in the tank but this is what i was asking as i was going to keep priming the system but have a hose connected to the fuel line from just infront of the hand priming grenade in the engine bay.

The haynes as ever was useless regarding this kinda info as well i found out :o(

Reply to
Will Morrow

snip

Definately mechanical (1), I have two Xantias and have emptied more than I care to remember of petrol as contaminated fuel! you can use the priming bulb if you want but it will take forever, (it seems to take forever just to fill the filter!!) mind you you will have muscles in your hand , it is what your right (left) hands for..... delete as applicable From experience the only way (speed and hassle) is thru the top of the tank I can do it in under an hour from start to finish. If you have a ramp you can pull the bottom hose off, though that tends to mean fuel all over the place and very little on the container!!

(1) unless it's an HDI, but as it has a priming bulb.. it's not.......

Des

Reply to
Des

Thank you all, i ended up disconnecting the line from the filter housing from the priming bulb and using the priming bulb to drain the fuel off,

20litres later and she is just above the reserve line now by about 3mm and all fine with no mess at all :o)

Thanks again, Will

Reply to
Will Morrow