siphoning

Does anyone know if you can siphon diesel from a modern car?

Ive filled a hire car up to the top, and not used it - As it only had a

1/4 tank in it when i got it, im reluctant to send it back full!
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Has it got a drain plug?

Failing that go for a quick rally! :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Its a new golf - and ive no idea where the tank is..

I might go outside and see if a bit of hose will go down the filler neck....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I doubt it. Most cars these days have anti-siphon traps in the fuel filler pipe. I know, I've tried (on my own vehicle, obviously, ossifer).

Reply to
Rich B

Rich B uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Drill? ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, Becky has now said that i stink of diesel. Shower in a bit then!

Pipe got into the tank ok, but the bottom of the tank is level with teh kerb, so there is not enough gravity - and as usual, i got more in my mouth than i did in my bucket.

Ney mind - Im gonna honk for days now.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

er, get tube, put in filler pipe, suck ...

Reply to
Rich B

Diesel in the mouth is the WORST thing in the world. You have the taste in there for a week, and no amount of toothbrushing, gargling with TCP or drinking milk will get rid of it. Commiserations.

Bleurgh.

Reply to
Rich B

i always siphon out of my cars by removing te level sender or fuel pump which are under little hatches in the boot fllor.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I tried it on a 1989 car a few months back, it also had anti-siphons. I ended up disconnecting the return feed to the tank (which terminates just above the inlet to the fuel pump inside the tank), then blowing into the tank's vapour release to slightly pressurise the tank and force fuel up the tank return feed to begin the siphoning effect. I didn't think it had worked until I spotted fuel sloshing out of the top of the jerry can.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Park the wheels on opposite side to filler cap on the kerb and stand on 'tother side!

Alternatively, turn the car upside-down and shake.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

If it's a Diesel then you can maybe remove the return from the fuel pump under the bonnet and direct it into a can. I've done this on my Pug 306 the old Lucas DPA pump returns a hell of a lot of fuel - one cup of tea = about

5 gallons!

When I worked in a garage we used to change fuel tanks on the likes of Morris Marinas quite often, the way to drain them was to ram a file tank up its arse.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

good point. I've also had it suggested on my fancy car with a leccy fuel pump to bridge the fuel pump relay and just disconnect the return pipe.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Very good! I had to think about that one for a minute :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

perv

Reply to
Nige

No, EP90 is the worst. Never siphoned the stuff again, needless to say.

The things you do in your teens ...

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

You can also buy these tiny pumps that fit on the end of a leccy drill that should be OK for diesel and would suck the stuff up from the tank.

something like:-

but I've seen them cheaper

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

I know the feeling.

Reply to
EMB

Or there is a little hand operated bulb pump:

Mind you I don't think it was =A326.95 when I bought one. Wouldn't like = to drian a full tank with one but hoiking out a gallon or two for the lawn =

mower or generator.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

£4

Remember my Dad had one many years back. It was clearly cheap plastic rubbish then, but I'm sure we made it work at least once.

David

Reply to
rads