Xantia - 5th Gear's gone awol

Driving on the M42 yesterday when all of a sudden the revs raced.

Checked that I didn't have my foot on the clutch, nope. Knocked it into neutral? Nope. Tried 4th, that worked. 5th again. Nope, still not working.

All the other gears work, with no selection problems. I've had no problems with the gearbox at all. The car is a 1.8sx petrol with

126,000 miles and full dealer service history.

Any experience or theories???

Reply to
Big Tim

Seems to be a common failing on Citroens - the amount of non-runners on ebay with "lost a gear or two, but still drives" seems to prove that. Renaults also seem to be suffering this (Laguna's especially). Peugeots next?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Howard

Pugs will do as they share most of the components with the Citroens :)

Reply to
Will

I wonder if they use the same g/boxes as Rover did (do?) on the 200. Apparently 5th gear was some sort of bolt-on overdrive unit fitted to a

4spd box and occasionally prone to failure.
Reply to
Scott M

I think some Rovers used a Peugeot-derived gearbox; probably those not using the Honda units!

Reply to
Phil Howard