Xantia Automatic Gearbox fault

1999 Xantia Diesel Automatic is unexpectedly drop out of 5th into 3rd apparently, any ideas what this may be being caused by?

Ta

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

solenoid fault, 750 quid or thereabouts.

Reply to
MrCheerful

solenoid fault, 750 quid or thereabouts.

which solenoid? diy-able?

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Also have you asked on french car forum, specifically the Citroen one?

Reply to
Clive George

Also have you asked on french car forum, specifically the Citroen one?

yes, one of them...they said it is limp home mode and needs a computer diag. So thats the first step. But cheerful's answer makes me wonder if there is a common fault.

Reply to
Mr Sandman

It is a common fault, yes, it has gone into limp home mode, IIUC the solenoids are on top of the gearbox, quite what is entailed in the overall repair I do not know, I have come across several like this on various models, each time they have gone into either an independent or a renault/citroen/peugeot place and the bill has been circa 750 quid. I have a deep dislike of French cars and avoid working on them whenever possible. Further reinforced by a low mileage Aygo (french mechanics) with the semi auto that had a slipping clutch, my friend changed the clutch after many hours but then had to have the gearbox electronics re-set because it dragged. A right pain in the derriere (as they would say)

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not terribly helpful perhaps but my DSG gearboxed VW Touran did something similar that eventually turned out to be a abs sensor problem.

Duff speed info reaching the gearbox computer caused inappropriate gear selection. Cars are too bloody complicated these days!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+