Xantia HDI 2.0 diesel cooler

This has, er, had, a grid just in front of the fuel tank on the fuel line. I've been told it's a cooler to cool the diesel in the fuel line. Is that right? And if so, why does the diesel need to be cooled?

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

is it because the fuel re-circulates through the system and therefore gets warmed up ? Is there a return pipe as well ?

Reply to
mr p

As its an HDi, the fuel acts to cool the hight pressure pump. The grid (like a waffle) is there to cool the fuel as it passes back to the tank on the return line.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks. I couldn't find anything on it on a websearch and I don't have a workshop manual.

If the grid is by-passed (i.e. destroyed as it was introduced to the road) any ideas on the risks of running without one?

Dougie

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

none at all, especially so if it is in England and you don't run very low on fuel.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

Hi

There is one point to note, the fuel cooler is also there to prevent warm fuel returning to the tank, so when the car is parked up after a long journey especially in winter it helps prevent condensation in the fuel tank, which will introduce water into the diesel. Most diesels no longer have a water trap, for this reason.

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

eh? All modern diesels still have a water trap, it's just that they're combined into the fuel filter.

It's just that tank ventilation has improved, that condensation is no longer a major issue. Modern fuel systems, even with the cooler, are still capable of raising the fuel temperature more than a convnetional fuel system ever did.

Reply to
M Cuthill

?!? Surely no matter how warm the fuel is, it can't cause any moisture to be drawn into the tank, any condensation formed must be from moisture already in the tank ? Or am I talking utter s**te again ? :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Are they? Many car's don't have water drains on filters anymore, BMW. as well as Landrover.

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

&all diesels have a water trap, it's called the fuel filter, you don't have a seperate one anymore because the pump fuel has much lower levels of water in it.
Reply to
Duncan Wood