Pug 306 Petrol - Posessed Engine keeps running!

My beloved 306 has been very reliable - up until this evening! Pulled in to home, turned the key and took it out but the engine kept running!! We're not talking a bit of run-on here - it was still fully running to the extent that I had to stall it to stop it. That's not a MAJOR problem, but I noticed that the light were still on on the dash and I could still here the hum of the fuel pump running!!

A few turns of the key and a bit of patience and it eventually switches off, but I'm concerned that soon I'm not gonna be able to turn it off resulting in the battery going flat and being stranded somewhere!

I've seen people describing various similar faults on here, but most of them say that their engine still runs on DESPITE a lack of electrical feed and lights on the dashboard. These symtoms obviously points towards mechanical problems rather than electical ones. However, I suspect that my problem is an electrical one as turning the key obviously isn't killing the electrical feed (as the battery light is still on).

I'm hoping somebody on here can confirm that it's a simple fault with the ignition switch and not some annoying untraceable weird French electical thing.

Any ideas, anyone?

Oh yeah - also the engine sometimes has a tendency to rev up and down of it's own accord, but it doesnt do it all the time. No idea if this is related to the ignition problem, but the cars always done it and I've just put up with it as its not a major concern.

Thanks guys...

Reply to
bomber

Ignition switch block u/s. Breakers might be the cheapest option. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The alternator can backfeed the ignition system through the ignition light, although the light is intended to draw enough current to stop it happening. There may also be a diode in the dash light circuit to stop it backfeeding which has blown, but this is more theory than experience.

Reply to
a.n.other

Try stalling the engine (dip clutch, top gear with brakes on and quickly release clutch with no throttle) see if the dash light goes out then. This will prove my feedback theory. If the lights stay on with the ignition off then it must be the ignition switch. I did have a faulty ignition switch on a 205 some years ago, but don't recall what symptoms I had, just remember changing it.

Reply to
a.n.other