Xsara HDI Lift Pump

Anyone point me to a pin-out (wiring schematic) for the Lift Pump on a 2.0 Xsara HDI plz?

The pump is new, but isnt running/priming when the ignition is turned on.

I've already changed the Bitron "Double Relay" to no avail.

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Acedrew

Forgot to say, its 4pins (2 of which I assume are the gauge sender).

Reply to
Acedrew

there are 4 fuses plus the relay, fuses are no. 25/26/27 and 34 if there is power going to f25 (for 2 secs. after ign on) (the last fuse before the motor then it is easy to check if there is power at the appropriate wire at the pump (terminal 3)

autodata gives a check sequence for the pump operation of: ign on, pump should run for 2 secs. if no pump then turn ign off remove relay module bridge relay base terminals with a switched lead between term 5 and 8 pump should run when switch is set to on if not then disconnect fuel pump multi plug check for voltage between terminals 3 and 4 (there are 6 terminals, the pump ones are the middle two)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

just seen that yours has only 4 pins on the multi plug, the details above are for the up to 01 versions, later types are not on my autodata, sorry if it is no help

Reply to
Mrcheerful

ok - much appreciated anyway.

Just noticed the Eng>> Acedrew wrote:

Reply to
Acedrew

Those pumps are notorious - I got through 3 in just under 3 years. The engine management warning light will have come on to tell you of no fuel pressure!

Reply to
Neil McD.

If the MIL is on, then it indicates a fault on the control side of the relay (if the fault is on the controlled side of the relay, the MIL doesn't normally get illuminated, just he engine won't run).

From memory, the 12v feed from the fuse goes via the relay coil and the inertia cut-out switch (can't remember what ones first, but I think it's the relay) and is then switched to ground by the engine ECU. Check the inertia cut-out switch first (try resetting it), and if that doesn't work, disconnect it and bridge the two wires in the connector. Failing that, with the ignition on, check that one of the wires at the inertia cut-out switch has 12v with the ignition switched on, then bridge that one to earth. The fuel pump relay should then run. If there's not 12v, then you'll need to check for 12v on the relevant pin to the relay (there should be schematic on the side of the relay showing how how the pins are connected)

Reply to
moray

OK thanks for the info.

Problem got solved today.

12V wasnt reaching the Lift Pump - fault traced to poor contact in one of the 2 big round mutipin connectors behind/under the battery.

Thanks to all who helped.

Andy

Reply to
Acedrew