Yaris T-Sport EFi System Fault

The MIL has come on again on SWMBO's Yaris. When she started the engine this morning, the light failed to go out.

I have read the code and it is 94. The autodata code list I have says that this code is for a small fuel system leak. Please can anyone confirm that this is correct? Suggested causes are wiring, pressure sensor or mechanical fault. With the light on, the car continues to drive as normal. Have checked for obvious signs of leaks i.e. wet patches, weeping unions etc and found nothing. She last put fuel in on Wednesday but the problem has not re-occurred until today (Saturday).

I feel that the problem is likely to be a sensor or calibration issue. Does anyone have knowledge of the problem and an easy remedy to suggest or is it going to be a trip back to Derby for a warranty repair? BTW, I've already reset the ECU once and this has only worked for a few days.

Reply to
Stu

You do have the proper fuel cap, and it is done up the right amount of clicks? (if appropriate?)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"mrcheerful ." wrote in news:Ei_Pe.97228$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Thanks for the reply, Mr C

It's the original cap, AFAIK. I'll make sure it's tightened up fully. The manual just says tighten until it clicks, doesn't mention a specific number of clicks. AFAIK, the clicking is just a simple clutch mechanism, to prevent overtightening, is it not? Are you thinking that fuel is escaping via the filler cap (I feel that this is unlikely), or is there some other significance?

FTR, when the MIL came on for the first time, we had yet to refuel it for the first time, so I don't think it's just something that just SWMBO is doing wrong.

Reply to
Stu

Lexus (Toyota in disguise) sometimes put the light on if the cap is not tight, they recommend three clicks. I imagine that it monitors tank pressure, which would disappear with a loose cap.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The rules say that a leak equivalent to a 0.5 mm hole should put the warning light on. That's pretty imperceptible, and a not-fully-tightened cap could easily do that. Alternatively, the leak could be somewhere in the vapour purge system, which would mean it's not fuel but just fuel vapour that's leaking out (so no sign of liquid petrol anywhere).

What puzzles me, though, is that I thought these rules only applied to US-market cars. Even if the Yaris is sold in the US (which seems unlikely, though I may be wrong), European spec cars typically have this test disabled. It might be worth re-checking the fault code via some other reference source to make sure it really is a fuel systsme leak.

Tony

Reply to
www.fuelsaving.info

"mrcheerful ." wrote in news:3m7Qe.97563$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the cap seal and tighten it. Then I'll reset the ECU again and see how it goes.

Reply to
Stu