Zafira 1.8 alternator

Hi, the zaf has started with a strange low drone at low revs, I have deflty found it to be coming from the alternator by using a stick and putting my ear to it :-) Question I have is how hard to change? is it DIY able? also, as its working fine apart from the drone is it OK to leave it, It sounds like a bearing going west, so i suppose there is a chance of it jamming causing damage to the drive belt, is it only the alternator and aircon that are driven off that belt? thanks in advance

Reply to
Staffbull

How hard it is to change is defined by how hard the nuts and bolts are to get to. Rest of it is no different. You could leave it but then it'll start howling and not charging the battery.

Reply to
Conor

After googling about, there seems to be a pump attached to the back of the alternator for sommat, Will it be pumping the power steering fluid? I take it it would be a harder job than normal then :-( anyone changed an alternator on a 1999+ vauxhall on an ecotec engine, they all seem to be the same

Reply to
Staffbull

That's the brake servo vacuum pump if you've got a diesel engine. Buy the Haynes manual, ot does actually cover something this straightforward.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Vauxhall diesels have the vacuum pump on the end of the camshaft. I don't think there's anything on the back of the petrol alternators, other than heatsheilds. As for how long it'll last, it might last a couple of weeks, or it might last several years. It all depends on how much of a risk you want to take, but more on how long can you tolerate the sound...

Reply to
Moray Cuthill