Astra battery light/charge problem

Hey there,

The battery light on my Astra 1995 is misbehaving, although it does appear to be showing a real problem.

It started by lighting up during normal driving. However, the more I revved the engine, the brighter it became. About 15 minutes later, it went off again. Ok. Fine.

When I arrived home and turned the ignition off, the the battery light went on again. I tried to turn the ignition on again and the light went out; ignition off and the light went back on. I left the car off for about half an hour and the battery went completely flat.

With the help of a jump starter I was able to start the engine, but the same behaviour continued afterwards.

I am taking the poor thing to a garage this Saturday but would like some ideas before. I want to get there with a minimal idea of what might be going on.

My first thought is the alternator, but since I had just had some work done on the engine before the problem, I am thinking it could be something related to the engine earth? Excuse my ignorance if this makes no sense.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks, Luiz

Reply to
Luiz Lima

Your first thoughts almost certainly right.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan,

Thanks for your help.

Would you bet some money on a failed alternator? I want to know how likely this would be the case, given the symptoms. The garage might be tempted to charge me for a new one even if all I need is to have the earth cable reconnected/changed.

The battery light getting brighter/dimmer when I rev the engine, air con lights on the panel being on while the side/head lights are off... this seems like earth to me. However, since I know very little about cars, I am not quite sure what the symptoms for a failing/failed alternator would be.

Another question, assuming these assumptions are right. Could a problem with the earth burn the alternator?

Many thanks again.

Luiz

Reply to
Luiz Lima

You might have both, but the alternator light sounds like a failing alternator diode pack. You can check the earth cable yourself, it's large & obvious. You can blow the diode pack if you lose the engine earth, but it's not very common. Also check the alternator earth itself.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well, looks like the place I was taking the car is not very good with electric problems. Any recommendations in NW London? Kilburn, Hampstead, Maida Vale?

Reply to
Luiz Lima