100K Tune-up: What's a necessity, and what's a "maybe"?

I've got a `94 Miata that just hit 100K.

From what I've seen on the car, pretty much nothing has been swapped out since it rolled off the lot. I've put in a new fuel filter/brake & roter work/regular oil changes. Everything else seems to be original. Car runs very strong, except I'm hearing some noises coming from the wheels, and I think my emergency brake might be sticking a bit.

Anyhow, I'm taking it to a dealership in Irvine, CA. Let's say I have $500 to spend on general maintenance-type stuff. What besides the wheels should be priority, and what can I hold off on as long as the parts are sound?

I've seen some Miata FAQ's on this - but I'd also like to hear from owners who are driving `em as we speak!

Reply to
MoreOfTheBugs

Better put a timing belt, Idler pulleys, seals and a water pump on it...It'll be begging for those real soon. Might as well change the belts too.

-- Jerry Randolph '90B Red Houston, TX

Reply to
Jerry

Good advice. Also, if not recently done: new air filter, new shocks, brake and clutch fluid flush, change coolant, lube brake caliper sliders, check coolant and vacuum hoses, clean radiator fins, replace spark plug wires, align suspension.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks for the great advice.

BTW, how much should all of this run me?

Reply to
MoreOfTheBugs

Maybe $500 for the maintenance items, plus another $700 for shocks--or more if you use a dealer. But you can do some or all of it yourself (except the alignment) if you have tools and a garage. There are instructions for practically everything in the miata.net Garage section. Some miata.net advertisers sell OEM parts at a nice discount.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks for the rough estimates.

No tools, no garage for me. Bachelor livin' in a studio.

I'm gonna get some quotes; if I find an exceptionally good deal, I'll let the NG know which dealer I got it from.

Reply to
MoreOfTheBugs