1990 Miata rack and pinion

1990 Miata, pwr steering. Have to replace the rack and pinion. Any thoughts/suggestions on what needs to be done. How hard/easy is it? What tools, anything special? Thanks.
Reply to
Mac

If I remember correctly, the rack is mounted in rubber. The rubber will need to be replaced, and the rack glued to the rubber. Otherwise, the rack will move back and forth in the mounts enough to be quite annoying.

This sort of thing is what I usually get a local shop to do after I have the parts in hand. (More Brawn than Brains work is best done in a shop with a lift, etc.) The ball joints at the ends of the steering rods that connect to the rack are likely in need of replacement as well.

Reply to
charlie