1990 Miata refrigrant....

Can someone tell me the refrigrant in a 1990 miata R12 or R143? if it's R12 recharged with R134 refrigrant, then what do i need to do to correct the problem properly with R134?

Thanks

Reply to
Crazy Banana

John Breslin

If you have a system that was converted properly to R134 no problem. If you have the original R12, generally it is salvaged, filtered, and put back if possible. Contaminated or open systems (mixed gas, no gas, etc.) generally require a complete flush, drier replacement, and new refrigrant. On a 90 I'd also consider replacing the compressor due to age and possible compatibility with the new refrigrant and oil.

Reply to
chuckk

I had my 1990 recharged once about five years ago. Still works fine (saying so is probably the kiss of death). It's R-12, as stated, and the only drawback was that it costs a bit more than R134. Even so, I would vote for keeping the R-12 system intact until there was a real good reason not to.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Agreed. It also greatly helps to *use* the A/C on a weekly basis, at least. I can't believe the number of people I've met that can't figure out why their A/C doesn't work, because, in their words--"they hardly ever even use it". I've never had to recharge an A/C system on one of my cars that ran the system a lot.

Reply to
tooloud

It probably has to do with lubrication. We tend to use the AC a lot here in the SF Bay Area and our problems have been few.

Ken

Reply to
KWS