1990 Protege question

Hi guys, this isn't a Miata of course but I'm wondering something about this car, bein' a Mazda...

It's a 1990 Protege SE (yah- the SOHC) with 5 spd tranny.

All that's been replaced is the water pump, alternator (150Kmiles) and timing belt and spark plugs, CVs once...everything else is original including the transmission/clutch.

Do these things just last forever or what? Right now it has over 205,000 miles and just keeps on trucking getting 35mpg @ 70mph on the highway- I'm just wondering what the lifespan of the motor and tranny will be?

TIA, Richard

Reply to
Richard Smith

mcyben

Man that's encouraging!

Guess I'll have to revise my thinking upwards. So far I've decided that I'm going to keep it until the wheels fall off. The good news is that every couple of weeks for the past two years I shuttle between Dallas and Houston (270mi) so a lot of the mileage is straight highway.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Smith

My mileage is mostly highway, about 1100 miles per week. Now running a Saturn, not as good of a car as the Mazda was.

Reply to
mcyben