question 1990 Miata

OK....Here it is......I spent more than 9 months looking for my Miata. Most of you know my history. Finally found my toy (96 Montegro) and I'm in 7th heaven with it. I luv everything about it!

I headed down to the ocean this afternoon to see if I could catch some supper. To put things in perspective, it was a 50 mile ride on some of the nicest curevy back roads aroud. Had a ball running those roads until I found a non-major used car dealer along side the road and as I drove by, I noticed a red Miata setting in the yard. I did not stop at this time (I was cruising) but figured I'd stop in on the way back.

OK...I stopped back at the place on my way home . Well...the place was closed by then and there was no way (knocking on the door/blowing the horn etc) that I could talk with anyone.

The car is a 1990 red (appears to be original paint) with no (or very little) dings or scatches. It appears to be a 5 speed manual tranny...don't know the milage. Can't see the details because it was locked.

I looked under the car (what I could see) and all looked good. I'll stop down tomorrow and check it out further.

What I'd like is some things to look for when I actually get into the vechicle.

The price on the widow was $4995. I must say that the plastic window was completly yellow (must be replaced}

Other than that window, it looked good.

Any thoughts or other things I should check?

Yeah...the wife likes my 96 so much she wants one too!

Thanks

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Thanks for the question Jo. I need a kick in the head now and then. :) I'm in the state of Maine and the price was in US Dollars.

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Excellent source...thanks Jim

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

That sounds exceptionally expensive given that it's 13 years old, even if it is in good shape. If you want to get one for much, much less money, wait until a cold, snowy, dreary weekend along about the middle of February. Nobody is buying convertibles then.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
Eric Lucas

True, nobody buys convertibles here in Maine in February, but nobody's selling them either. All the Miatae in the land are locked up snug and tight in a garage somewhere. I tried that, it didn't work. Given their relative rarety here, Miatas are expensive year round compared to some warmer climates in the US.

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A (imported from St. Lois, MO)

Reply to
tonyrama

Thanks Eric,

I was thinking along those same lines too. However, that was the price painted on the front windshield. Who knows how much a little dickering might lower it? I went back with a printed out list of things to check (thanks to a link Jim provided.) and have decided to pass on this one. Found a few things that I was concerned about (nothing major) but still... One thing was an excellent bright red paint job...really looked nice but somehow the mirrors were not quite the same color (faded) and there was noticable overspray in various inconspicuous areas. That really wasn't much of a problem until the salesman (owner of the dealership) tried to tell me it was the original paint! :)

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

You got that right Tony! Lil' Blue will be locked up tight before the first snow hits and I'll bet all other Maine Miatae will also be enjoying a well deserved rest for a few months. I certainly can attest to their rarity up here. I spent over 9 months trying to locate one anywhere in Maine (within 150 miles) and finally had to go to New Hampster to check a few out. Even a new one is hard to locate at a dealer here. In the month that I've been enjoying Lil' Blue, I've put a lot of miles on her and have only seen two others on the roads. One had Mass plates and was a beautiful Green (don't know the year). I was waiting to make a left turn and when that green one went by, I swear the driver had a grin as big as mine! :) The other was a fairly new red one parked in a restaurant parking lot. Was caught in traffic and didn't have a chance to go check it out. Got a phone call this morning telling me that Uncle Henry's ( A New England sell/swap/trade/want to buy magazine) has one listed for sale in Ellsworth. If I did not already have my Miata, I might be tempted to check it out, but Ellsworth to quite a ways Downeast and is right on the ocean (rust???)

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Real Mainers don't drive in Boston! :)

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Yeah, I've tried that too. Don't think I'll do that again :)

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

Run, do not walk, the other direction. The fact that he's lying about the paint job makes it a virtual certainty that the car was in a wreck, and it could well have been a major one.

Eric Lucas

inconspicuous

Reply to
Eric Lucas