1999 or 2001

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Miata. I have a choice of a 1999 with 76,000 for 11,500 or a 2001 with 56,000 for 15,500. For those of y ou that know, which is a better value. I don't know the differences between the years and how much driving differences it would make.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
Prometheus7

Hi: $11,500 for a 99 seems awfully high to me. I specked out a 99 Miata

10AE on
and came out with $9300 for trade-in value. I bought my
Reply to
jimuntch

I think you can do better on either.

Main differences:

2001 was a minor update which included a variable valve engine which gave a very minor power boost, but recommends premium fuel. Also a different front fascia including better integration of the foglights (well, IMHO). Also greater chassis stiffening. LS got bigger wheels & brakes. Also tends to have more standard equipment.
Reply to
Dave

They are both too much money. If you plan to update the car with turbo and other performance options get a '99. The '99 uses regular gas and has a lower compression ratio. The '99 is lighter and faster in stock form. The money you save can be used for add-ons.

The 2001 has improved but taller seats, a stiffer chassis, and VVT (variable valve timing) which gives a little more mid range torque and two more horsepower. If you don't plan to update for performance, the 2001 Special Edition is a great choice. It's British Racing Green with a 6 speed, polish wheels, and other appearance goodies.

You should be able to find similar cars to the ones you are considering for about $3,000 less.

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

Those prices seem pretty high. You should be able to get a brand-spanking-new 2003 for $19K.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Slightly off topic, but I would highly recommend looking for a '97 or earlier instead. Having owned both, I think I would much rather have the NA Miata (pre '99) instead of the NB (99 and up) if I did it over again. The NB has got slightly less room for the driver, and just feels much different from the NA's. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my NB; just not as much as I liked my NA.

I would take that money, buy a real nice low-mileage mid-90's NA, and spend the rest on a turbo or supercharger setup, some nice suspension bits and a good stereo. That would be perfect. Well, it'd be a good start anyway. Once you start working on your Miata, I highly doubt you'll ever stop. :-)

Just my $.02.

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust

I just picked up a brand new 2003 last Saturday for $17k.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Hirsch