2005 MazdaSpeed wheels/tires

Oh, I recall those dinosaurs! That road hugging weight helps you hug the road as long as you are sitting static ;-) After you start moving that goes out the window fast, eh?! Buick never mentioned that.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

.

At least the 'wide track' is correct in principle; wider IS better in general, for handling but, the Buick claim is just totally bogus unless your concern is for holding the road in the presence of a tornado's lifting forces ;-)

cd

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Agreed. My Miata (and my two sons' Miatas) go fine in the snow in northern Virginia, but only as long as they have dedicated snow tires on all four corners and a couple of bags of sand or salt in the trunk. That's with normal northern Virginia snowfalls of 4-8 inches.

When we got the 30+ inch snowfalls this past winter, my Miata stayed in the cozy garage and I drove the Silverado 2500HD; which was TERRIBLE in the snow (2wd) until I got four dedicated snow tires on it and loaded the bed with weight.

I had a few occasions to drive my Miata in snow with all season tires and I was pretty darned impressed. The light weight and, I'm sure, the balance of the car seemed to make it quite a willing companion as they say. I can imagine that with dedicated snow tires, it must be a total blast to drive in the snow. I'd spend all my (winter) time in parking lots, drifting if I still lived up north ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

What truck did they drive through the house while it is being moved by the tornado in the movie "Twister"? That is the one I want.

That was one hell of a truck!

Pat

Reply to
pws

I think that I have driven on snow and ice four times in my life, it might be three total. Never in a Miata.

Wanna go for a ride with me during the next ice storm? ;-)

When the streets get bad here, I stay in. It has never lasted more than a day or so, and this city shuts down at the first sign of a snowflake.

That said, one person I am close to moved to a place where snow is very heavy at times, after living in Austin his entire life. He has had no problems adapting.

He hates shoveling the snow off the driveway, but learning how to drive in it is apparently not that difficult for newbies, and he was smart enough to get snow tires and chains that are sometimes required to make it up the mountain.

Pat

Reply to
pws