95 with code 17

Looking for help in troubleshooting my 95 Miata. The check engine lt came on, when I diagnosed it the code was 17, the oxygen sensor (output not changing). Anyone with any ideas? I'm planning on checking the o2 sensor, but beyond that what else should I look for. thanks, Arne

Reply to
arnechristiansen

Arne, If the car has more than 100K miles the o2 should be changed as a maintenance item anyway. If you want to test it check the voltage at the sensor with the proper DVOM. The range is .1 to .9 volts. You should see the voltage drop to the low end by forcing the engine lean with a vacuum leak and high with enrichment. If the o2 responds well to this test but is stuck near .1 volts look for a vacuum leak. If stuck rich .9 volts look for something that would cause a rich condition. Dirty air filter, clogged pcv system, leaking injectors. Also check the basics like the connection at the sensor and the wiring. Good luck. Alan

Reply to
Alan

Ya, uh ........... what he said!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Alan thanks for the tips, I forgot to mention the car has only 49k on the miles. I'd rather troubleshoot then take it to a garage cold.

Arne

Reply to
arnechristiansen