Air Conditioner Noise

I am getting some strange noise from the engine when the engine is in neutral and the air conditioner is on. The problem goes away if the
clutch is in or if the air conditioner is turned off. I did some searches on the web and found some information but nothing conclusive. Is this something to be concerned about? My miata is a 1999 model if that helps.
Rex Vaughn snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

What kind of noise do you hear? Mine makes a rattling noise which is the magnetic clutch to power the airco-pump. The pump still works though so I'll leave it alone for now...
Its a heavy rattling noise that gets louder as the engine gets warmer. The noise totally goes away though when the a/c is turned off or the clutch is depressed.
Jeroen Feelders wrote:

My '90 has done that for 17 years. With the a/c on, it sounds like a diesel truck. I've learned to live with it. I don't run the a/c that much anyway.

Get the crankshaft endplay checked!

I'll