Air Filter

I recently changed the air filter on my Miata. First time to change it. Car had 9,998 miles on it, 2 yrs 5 months old at the time of the change.
The replacement filter does not seem to be of the same quality as the original. I'm wondering whether I should be concerned.... A picture of the two filters are posted here... I'll try to describe the differences, though the picture is ... well you know, the best way to see what I'm talking about. There were fewer "ridges" in the replacement making it seem less worthy. I'm also curious about opinions on whether a 10K mile Miata that is over 2 years old needs a change....
http://dpway.homeip.net:7979/miata /
-Paul

It depends on its usage. If you live on a dirt road, 10k may be too long. For most Miatas, I'd think 30k is fine.
--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C

the