Overseas shipping info requested!

I'm considering moving to Switzerland and can think of nothing better than to have my Miata over there also to enjoy spring and summer drives in the alps! Anyway, I'm near jacksonville, florida and was wondering if anyone has any experience shipping their vehicle to Europe. I'm curious about cost, paperwork, preferred ports of entry(I could go to another location to pick it up), etc. If anyone has any information about a specific company that they have used or know about that was good, that would be useful. Also, any pitfalls to be aware of? Thanks for any help you might have!

Reply to
gatorcellman

Careful driving in Switzerland mate the cops are complete Nazi's!!! Zero tolerance on speeding, major big fines even jail time. The noise restrictions are major league as well, I have even heard that some tyres are banned as too noisy. If your bringing a Miata across, bring me a nice BRG 1994 LHD Automatic, cause it's crap driving a RHD in Greece.

Reply to
gixer

As I understand it, typically the problem of adjusting the car to local regulations and getting it certified makes it very difficult for an individual to import an individual car.

Bringing it in temporarily tends to have the biggest problem dealing with the EPA in bringing it *back* into the USA.

When trying to take Bozo to Europe for a vacation, the place I dealt with was

of EPA problems, I gave up on the idea. Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well, I know that there are more radars, but I haven't found it that restrictive. I've actually driven there quite a bit. You have to remember that in the US, the police actually hide to try to catch speeders and that it's pretty hard to speed without getting a ticket. Consequently, the police seem fairly uncommon. Thanks for the heads up though!

Reply to
gatorcellman

I was under the impression (by someone who lives there) that I could import my car for 1 year without having to deal with the conversion to Swiss standards. Did you look into all areas of Europe, or just a specific country? Do you know the reasons why it is so hard to bring the car back into the us? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to prove it orignated in the US and that it would up to US standards. Just curious.

Reply to
gatorcellman

Hereès a discussion of one ownerès experience bringing a car to France

-

669 It took nine months to sort out the paper work. I'd find it hard to beleive that it would be much easier in Switzerland.

Think about selling yours and buying there.

Reply to
hotclub57

I seem to recall that is right. But you said moving there, not going there for a year.

It is not hard if you fill out an EPA form before going that the car is not modified. That would be hard to do with Bozo.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen