Boot vs Glass rear window

I sorry for being a pest here and I *have* attempted to do my homework before bothering anyone here again. I have read every link I thought might be a help over on Miata.net and I'm still a little confused.

Li'l Blue did not come with a boot and I'd like to get one.

I have a 96 Miata with a zippered glass rear window. I wrote down the info that was on the glass and did a search to verify it *is* safety glass (patting myself on the back).

  1. Did the 96 come standard with a glass rear window, or do I have an aftermarket window? What year did Mazda switch from plastic to glass?

  1. From what I read over on Miata.net (I forget exactly where) it was stated that an aftermarket glass window replacing a plastic one would raise the height of the top (when down & stored on the back shelf) to a height which will not allow a OEM boot to be used. Is this true? I have asked a couple of somewhat local dealers and get mixed answers.

Any advise???

Thanks

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

That's an after market glass window. Don't know how tight the boot will be. I don't think glass windows came stock until the M2's.

Reply to
Mike

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:50:01 GMT, JV wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

M1 had plastic, M2 99+ had glass.

OEM boot fits fine after a small bit of stretching for the Robbins top with glass window.

There are many who don't like the look when the boot is on, but I don't really notice. Even if I didn't like the look, I would rather have the visibility and durability over the plastic.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

Plastic rear windows were standard up to '97. The glass window started in '99.

I don't know about that. What I'd do if I were you is pull up next to another Miata and see how the folded roof height compares. I'm pretty sure mine is an aftermarket top (w/plastic window), but I don't have a boot either. I'd love to find one in white if possible. The closest I've seen to that is a three piece hard tonneau cover that could be painted (it was from Flyin' Miata, I think).

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

I'd just borrow one from a fellow Miata owner and try it on. Loren

Reply to
the invisible man

No.

Yes.

98, but it was not zippered.

No. It is true for some tops, such as the Robbins top. But it is not true for my BSP glass window upgrade. Also, I have been told in this forum that some tops with glass windows other than Robbins lie at stock height.

Loren's makes sense to me. If the stock boot does not fit, get the bigger one from Robbins.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I dont know if this had changed, but I just replaced my wifes robbins three window top, with the Robbins no zip glass, and the original boot works fine, (may have already been stretched??) I do remember them saying that in the past, but I When I was working on the warranty replacement of the three window, they said the boot would work fine. I returned the three window and upgraded to the no zip glass. BEAUTIFUL top. I cant wait until I get my car painted, and I will be buying one for myself!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Robison

: : I dont know if this had changed, but I just replaced my wifes robbins three : window top, with the Robbins no zip glass, and the original boot works fine, : (may have already been stretched??) I do remember them saying that in the : past, but I When I was working on the warranty replacement of the three : window, they said the boot would work fine. I returned the three window and : upgraded to the no zip glass. BEAUTIFUL top. I cant wait until I get my : car painted, and I will be buying one for myself! : : >

: : Mike : :

I just replaced the OEM top with the Robbins zipper glass top and the OEM boot works on my '94. Actually, because it's more snug now, it stays on better at highway speeds.

Reply to
Roald Oines

OK. :)

Hum.

You are right. I did know that the stock boot is very snug above the Robbins top, but you can get it on. Don't know why I said otherwise; I guess I was mentally answering "fits well."

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Here I go talking to myself :).

Just wanted to thank everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think I *will* get a boot. One further quick question tho...How do I tell if I have an OEM top? I found markings on the aftermarket window but have been unable to find *any* markings/numbers/etc on the top.

Thanks again

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to