Window Glass

I was at work today and someone broke into my car by smashing in the rear passenger side window.

I can replace the glass my self and will probably be hitting the junk yards tomorrow or the next day looking for a new piece of glass. I did have a question though.

Does anyone know what year models are compatible with a 95 SL1. For example if the junk yard only has glass the 94 and 96 SL models would one of those work and the other not be any good?

Also I have power windows, is there a design difference that would make glass from a car with manual windows incompatible?

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

The compatible glass for your model is 1991 - 1995. The 1996 and up SL models had a change in design, and glass shape.

The windows are not any different (power vs manual) the glass is the same - it is what is underneath the glass itself that makes it power or manual (eg: manual crank or motorized crank) - I know this very specifically because I had manual windows on my former Saturns (1991 and 1993) and converted to power windows myself. It was just a matter of changing out the crank systems without any glass modification whatsoever.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

You don't have insurance coverage for glass? I'd suggest you check with your insurance company to make sure. My policy covers glass breakage with a zero deductible.

Regards,

Ed White

Zaphod wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

d'oh! I had to shell out 250$ deductible as part of a theft claim in which my passenger side window got smashed - incidentially, this was the cost to replace the window. What insurance co are you with?

-rj

Reply to
richard hornsby

Nationwide. But I have zero deductible on my comprehensive coverage. In some states glass is covered differently. You policy should spell it out.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks, I did not think that manual versus electric made a difference but I was not 100% sure. I called around to a few junk yards in the area today and got quotes ranging from $65-$80.

I went with the $65 dollar piece and now have it all in place and put back together. The tint is a little off color (not quite as dark as the tint on the rest of the windows) but other than that looks good and is working fine.

On the bright side this gave me an excuse to grease the track inside the door which I have been meaning to do for a long time now.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

I have a $250 dollar deductible for that kind of damage which is far more than the $65 I ended up paying at a junk yard.

Maybe if I could get the insurance to pay for the radio that was taken then combined I would be close to exceeding that $250 mark where the insurance would actually have to shell out a few bucks to make up the difference.

In the end it just seemed easier to buy the part and install it myself than to file a claim so that I could get a 10 or 20 dollar check a month from now.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod