Changing Light Bulbs

I have a 90 Red Miata Package B..which was delievered Oct

5,1989.....believe it or not...but I have never had to replace even ONE light...NONE.!!
Reply to
bayman2222

I think I've replaced only 1 lightbulb on my 1990 in the last 11+ years. That was for the third brake light.

Iva & Belle;) '90B Classic red;) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

I'm running around my house constantly changing bulbs, I find that durability amazing in a vehicle as it's getting jostled around all the time!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I think lamp life is shortened by varation in line voltage in the home. I've lived in places with really bad voltage regulation and had to change lots of bulbs.

The only miata lamp I've ever had problems with is the idiot (3rd) brake light. Conventional wisdom is that the vibration takes it out. For whatever reason it seems better on my '91 that it did on my old '95. Is there anything to the idea that the NA16 is more stable that the NA18?

Jeff Remson '91 Mariner B

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

Reply to
jeff.remson

I'll bet the worst stress on that bulb would be from one person slamming the trunk while the driver is standing on the brake. Most people will probably never do that, but for others it might be a regular occurrance.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ya, IMPACT is very serious VIBRATION! Been there, done that, but luckily not in a Miata.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Some bulbs last seemingly forever, others fail in a short time. Remember to clean the socket and use bulb (electrical grease) when you install the new one. Seems that this helps to transfer heat away from the bulb and socket and lengthens bulb life, as well as keeping moisture out of the socket.

30 years ago, I worked for GE. The bulbs sold in the company store at a large discount were seemingly identical to those sold at retail. They seemed to fall into two categories-- bulbs that failed with fewer than normal operating hours, and those that ran for years. The difference seemed to be related to the bulb element resistance and the light output. (More light, less resistance, and less life.) The long life bulbs were not quite as bright, and the difference was noticable when you had two side by side. (Same part number, rated wattage & light output.)
Reply to
Chuck