Check Light

'91 Miata std trans.
I get a yellow check light. Looked in my miata manual and confused as to what it means???
Pat

Pat, count the flashes. BUT, most of the time, it's the gas cap not on good enough. Twist it thru " 3 clicks" and check it again. There is a section in the garage section on "miata.net" that will give some info on the lite and how to cure it.
Bruce

Hi,
I haven't driven the Miata since the problem. I will get more info in the next few days. I am trying to understand what the YELLOW ALERT LIGHT means. The owners manual simply says if the light goes on, its an electrical problem. According to the Miata Workshop manual, the yellow light is referred to as the MIL (Multifunction Indicator Lamp). To get the details, apparently you need an SST tool that connects into a service port and gives you coded readings that help identify the problem.
If you do not have an SST, and frankly I wouldn't know how to use one without supervision, then is there another way to get the code. Does the yellow engine icon blink the code? If not, is the code safely stored away and do I need to get it read out at a shop?
Also, it seems that the check light is illuminated by a decision made by the ECU, which I understand is the computer that controls sensors, inputs and outputs. Maybe the ECU or sensor is at fault. It looks like a circuit board. Can they be repaired or do you need to replace the entire ECU if its gone bad?
Pat