cleaning Alloy wheels

I just received my 1990 Miata. I am having a difficult time finding a way to clean the alloy wheels. Any advice ???

Reply to
rdarrow

I swear by Simple Green, it's very good and it's biodegradable. The real key sometimes is having just the right brush to be able to get in all the lil nooks and crannies. I probably have 6 different brushes I keep with my car washing stuff, different brushes work better on different wheels.

Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I do not understand that. My stock alloys had dead corners that were hard to get the dirt out. On my BBS wheels, all parts of the surface are easy to reach.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'm not saying they are the worst / hardest wheels to clean but ya, I'd rate them as difficult. I won't bore you with the details of the difficulties, you already know them. I think the key to difficult wheels is to keep after them, if they get really built up w/ brake dust they are quite a chore.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Mequiars whell cleaner,allowed to set for five minues and then a pressure washer will remove every trace of dirt and brake dust. If you're going to own a car with nice wheels, a pressure washer is a must. The electric ones have come way down in price, they had a 1300psi one at Home Depot for $79.00 the other day. I prefer the higher pressure of a gas powere one (2500psi) but even the electric one will make short work of all that crude and the Mequiars doesn't fade or hurt the wheels (at least in ten years it hasn't). The pressue washer is also great for cleaning inside the wheel wells although the body still needs elbow grease and a sponge.

92 Red

rdarrow wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

I do not.

That may be the reason.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Use a stiff brush and some alloy wheel-cleaner to get the worst of the dirt off. Then use Brillo pads for the rest.

Reply to
Kenneth S.