Clutch/shifter problem

I cam out this morning and couldn't get the thing to shift until the car had warmed up for about five minutes. The clutch has felt the last week ro so as if it's not disengaging until the pedal is almost all the way down.

throw bearing? clutch? It has been moist around here recently.

JJ

Reply to
Me

I would think the most likely is a problem with the clutch hydraulics... like maybe low clutch fluid... due to leaking clutch cylinder, etc. I'm not sure how the 'warming up for 5 minutes' figures into it though.

Pete

Reply to
Simply Pete

There's a 99% chance your clutch slave cylinder is leaking and needs to be rebuilt (or replaced). Not a big deal; see the instructions at miata.net if you want to tackle it yourself. Keeping the reservoir topped off and pumping up the pedal before shifting might give you a few more days before it fails completely. Don't wait too long--it can be pretty challenging to drive to the shop without using the clutch.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thought of the hydraulics just after I wrote. Much better problem than mechanical stuff. I'll top it off tomorrow. Probably just enough fluid to circulate when warm?

Jon

Reply to
Me

It's not the heat. Using the clutch pumps the system back up, temporarily. It will rapidly get worse, so plan to fix it soon.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I added more fluid. Is it necessary to bleed the line? Things are much better, but it still feels as if the clutch doesn't disengage until late in the game.

JJ

Reply to
Me

No good.

No.

No.

If you have not replaced your slave cylinder in the last 50 kmi, it is leaking and topping up or bleeding is not going to help. You need to replace or rebuild it. I am sure instructions are on miata.net.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Yes, I will be replacing the slave cyliner, however, adding more fluid did help me to be able to get the car into gear and shift normally so while I understand the intent of this reply--in my humble opinion adding more fluid is a perfectly worthwhile stopgap that will serve to get those who have a similar problem to the repair shop.

Note: I could shift without the engine running so I was able to get into reverse and 1st or 2nd and drive a short ways even before adding fluid.

JJ

Reply to
Me