Clutch Juddering when Cold

I own a 5 year old Rover 416, with 66,000 miles. When pulling away from cold there is a judder when I let the clutch come up, when the car has warmed up the judder is hardly noticable and can be overcome by increasing the revs.

When doing the 5th gear test to check for clutch wear, the car does not stall until the clutch pedal is quite high up, but does not slip during normal driving.

Is this the clutch going, the car has always had some judder, it just seams that in the last week of so the Judder is getting worst.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Car

Possibilities.

Broken spring in clutch friction plate. Broken fingers on clutch pressure plate. Oil leaking onto clutch.

Reply to
Conor

Hiya

Whats the 5th gear test?

Cheers

Reply to
Dr Gonzo

It's the idea that you see if the clutch is worn by putting the car in

5th, holding the brake down & letting the clutch up. In itially it demonstrates how well the cables adjusted & if you do it repeatedly it's guaranteed to demonstrate you need a new clutch. However if it's juddering it's way more likely to be your ignition or your engine mounts.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I did wonder if the 5th gear test was a way for garges to get more trade by convincing the customer that their car needed a new clutch when all that was required was a small adjustment.

I will replace HT Leads, cap and rotor arm to see if this has any effect. If not how do you test engine mounts.

Reply to
Mr Car

Well you can check that they're not split, other than that changing thems the only real test. You can try having someone slip the clutch whilst the brakes on & watch how far the engine moves but apparent from the obvious hazards it's difficult to compare.

Reply to
Duncan Wood