clutch trouble

My 95 v6 5spd has some clutch trouble. The clutch is releasing and engaging in different pedal positions each time I shift gear.... Sometimes the clutch releases halfway, the next time I have to push the pedal all the way to the floor. A few times it was almost impossible to get the trans. into first gear! The problem gets worse as the engine and transmission warm up, after a cold start in the morning everything is fine.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!! Erik.

Reply to
Erik

If yours is the cable operated clutch, suspect a bad quadrant.... There are better than OEM quadrants available (this is the piece at the pedal that actually acts as a cable adjuster).

Reply to
Jim Warman

I already replaced the stock plastic quadrant with Steeda's Double Hook Quadrant a year ago. Worked great for the past year, I tried readjusting the cable and it works fine when the engine is cold but when the engine is warmed up I can hardly get in and out of first gear. Can the problem be with the clutch itself?

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Erik

Possible that you have a pressure plate or disc problem... the different pedal characteristics seem odd, though. Before yarding everything apart, check the quadrant once again... lint, thickened grease... things I have yet to see may be affecting it's operation...

HTH.

Jim Warman wrote: If yours is the cable operated clutch, suspect a bad quadrant.... There are better than OEM quadrants available (this is the piece at the pedal that actually acts as a cable adjuster).

My 95 v6 5spd has some clutch trouble. The clutch is releasing and engaging in different pedal positions each time I shift gear.... Sometimes the clutch releases halfway, the next time I have to push the pedal all the way to the floor. A few times it was almost impossible to get the trans. into first gear! The problem gets worse as the engine and transmission warm up, after a cold start in the morning everything is fine.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!! Erik.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Check out your cable, it may have a worn spot in the insulation and when it is pressed the cable binings may be poking out causing a bad engagemant. This has happend to me before I had a friend sit in the car and press in the clutch while I was under the car looking and I found it. If thats not the case then the only thing I can think of would be a bad pressure plate.

Reply to
Clark Kent