Cooper LifeLiner SLE touring tires OK?

Had brake job done on my 2000 Mazda Protege ES last week

Mechanic said I will need new tires soon.

He recommends:

Cooper Life Liner Touring in 195-55-R16 with V speed rating

Advice on Cooper tires?

Reply to
me

Forgot some info

Cost will be $414 for four tires

$24 labor cots

Four wheel alignment at $68.50

Disposal, etc

Total cost for tires, mounting, balance is $526.03

Reply to
me

That's too much money for what you get. Go to Les Schwab and get a set of R4s, or if you want long tread life a set of 800s.

Reply to
lgadbois

well, I don't know where you are or where the OP lives but here around Houston, I've never heard of Les Schwab now, his crooked brother Chuck on the other hand....

Anyway, a bit more info on the tires would likely be helpful so he doesn't go in having to try to act like he knows everything and then admit he doesn't know who the manufacturer is of either tire. Are you referring to Pirelli P800's? I thought I kept up on this a bit but I don't have a clue, help me......R4's?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

You are right Chris. Sorry, I have this local mentality and forget that not everyone lives in the West. Les Schwab Tires are only in the western U.S.

I don't know anything about Cooper LifeLiner tires as I have never owned them, and I don't know anyone that has had them on their car.

Most of Schwab's premium tires like the Proxes 4s are made by Toyo. The rubber formulation on the Proxes 4 is similar to the T1-R. This tire is an all season design that offers "300" tread life, a "A" mud and snow traction rating, and comes in a "V" speed rating. Discount Tires also sells Toyo. I don't autocross my Miata, and I have been very satisfied with my Proxes 4s.

Unless the OP has custom wheels, the correct tire size for a 2000 Mazda Protege ES is 195-55-15.

Reply to
lgadbois

You are correct.... correct size is 195-55-15

That was a typo on my end

I am OP

Reply to
me

Don't know anything about Cooper tires. FWIW, through the years, I've used Michlin Pilots, the stock Bridgestones that came on my '03, Toyo T1s, and a 15" Dunlop that is no longer made. Of them all, I liked the Dunlops best (quiet and good wet traction), followed by the Toyos. The Bridgestones were noisy and only lasted 15,000 miles. The Michlins were very noisy and had poor traction wet or dry. I/I've been happy with the Toyo's I have now, but when I replace them next year, I may go with the a Hankook (Ventus HRII H405 or K

106) or a Kumho (Ecsta SPT) - I'll be selling the car in May so price is a consideration.

Randy

for a 2000 Mazda

Reply to
BCRandy