dented frame rail - problem?

I am helping a friend look for a used miata. We have found one, the price is right for her, the only thing that I have noticed is that one of the frame rails has been compressed, it looks like by either hitting a rock or more likely by being jacked up by a scissor jack at the wrong point. The frame rail distorts about 1/2 inch upwards for a length of about 1 inch, this is just beyond the jacking point towards the rear. It hasn't broken through the rustproof coating, and is probably just more cosmetic than anything, but I wanted to see what you thought before giving a yes or no recommendation on taking it to a mechanic for a more complete inspection. The car is a fairly low-mileage 1995 with all service records, almost no dings, etc.

So, the question is, should I be concerned about this dent in the frame rail or is it probably not a problem?

Pat '96M

coming soon, pictures of a 1996 M edition minus the hood, fenders, headlight assemblies, radiator and A/C condensor. It appears that the deer did zero frame damage. Pretty cool looking, actually.

Reply to
pws

My guess would be to have the alignment checked. If it's ok, then this is likely cosmetic.

On the other hand, MIatas are so plentiful that you might keep looking. Congratulations on being so observant.

Ken

Reply to
KWS