miata versus deer

Here are some pictures of a 1996 M edition after a 55 to 60 mph collision with a fairly large doe. We generally have small deer in central Texas, and this is one of the bigger does that I have seen.

Damage done:

People, myself and my daughter - shaken but uninjured.

deer - killed instantly

The car - bent hood, both headlights shattered, both headlight buckets are mangled, the nose has a large dent in it and one of the front turn signal lenses is also shattered. Radiator was cracked and A/C no longer works, not sure if the A/C condensor was cracked or if it is an electrical problem. Finally, something is draining the car battery when it is off. Any ideas on what that may be?

Thanks,

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

Yikes! Glad to hear nobody was hurt. I had a deer come out of a field on me just 2 hours ago with no warning. Didn't come off the edge of the road though. Sorry to hear about the M.

Reply to
Mike

i once saw a group (~6) of panicked young deer cross a road at an intersection...they ran around, over, and through 2 guys in a mustang convertible (top down) who were stationary waiting for the light to change. a couple bumped the car, one went over the hood (planting all four feet once near the cowl), and one tried to go through the back seat. it stumbled and got a bit tangled in the back (sending the front seat passengers running), then got free and cleared out with its buddies.

if they'd gone 10 feet to their left, they would have run behind the car unimpeded. god knows what they were thinking.

crazy!

dookie

Reply to
dookie

Not good.

Headlight raise motor? Try pulling the HEAD fuse in the engine bay.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Pat,

Sorry to read of this, I usually really like deer but....................

Good luck with the car, what's the prognosis?

Chris

92BB&T (Sugar Land TX, no deer)
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thank God no one was hurt. I hope you can save the car, the Starlight Blue used on the 96M model is one of my favorite Miata colors. Best of luck.

Reply to
Natman

Thank you all for your kind words of support. The airbags never popped and the frame was not bent, so it looks like I will just be replacing bolt-on pieces. There is a good chance that some body work will be required to make everything match up correctly, but I am hoping for the best. If all of the mounting points still match up then I will be able to replace all of the pieces myself.

I have been searching the junkyards and have come up with the following prices so far. I was going to see what people think about the costs that the yard is charging, all of the parts are claimed to be in very good condition, though of course they will need to be re-painted:

Hood, including hinges - $150.00 Headlight assemblies, the entire unit with motor - $125.00 each front bumper (includes right turn signal assembly) - $150.00 left turn signal assembly - $25.00

Total for parts - $575.00 + tax

Does anyone know a rough estimate on having these items repainted? I don't want to bother the paint shops until I have it all back together and ready for the final step.

I am also getting a new radiator for $120.00, but I still haven't checked to see if the A/C system was damaged.

Thanks again all!

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

That did it. Thanks Leon.

Now, would you feel like sending me your front pieces that I need? I promise to leave them white and paint the rest of the car to match. Just think, you will be helping a fellow miata owner and increasing the number of white miatas on the road at the same time!

Seriously, if the car had been totaled, I would probably be looking for a low-mileage, well-maintained white 1994 model (maybe a 1996 or 1997)as a replacement.

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

You would be competing with me. My plan is to buy a super clean

1994 or 95 white (no OBD II) and put a SC on there, presumably a FM one. Of course, transferring about 100 dearly beloved goodies will be very time consuming. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen