Diagnosis needed

On a cold start on a cold (around freezing or less) morning, the power steering makes a moaning noise. The power steering fluid seems frothy. After a few minutes of driving the noise goes away. I see no evidence of a fluid leak. Could air be getting into the system that is forced out as I drive and as everything warms up? I added quite a bit of Lucas PS additive a few days ago. Hasn't made a difference.

Reply to
Frank Berger

How low was it when you added the additive? In any event, if it keeps up, either ignore the noise, or expect to be spending some money to replace the PS Pump (If you are lucky.)

Reply to
Chuck

He could also de-power the steering rack.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Frank, when was the power steering fluid changed. Might have moisture in it which is freezing.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

Long time, probably.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Top posting because you did?

I said I added it a few days ago.

I d> How low was it when you added the additive?

Reply to
Frank Berger

Think I'd be replacing it...before I started any work AND to get the additive out before it does any damage!

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

It might be that the cold temperature is causing the pressure relief valve to open, and you are hearing the valve buzzing. When the fluid thins out as it warms up, the noise goes away.

I'd likely suction out as much of the old fluid as possible/convenient, replace with new, and see what happens. Was/is the old fluid dark?

Reply to
Chuck

The things you don't think of. After 219,000 miles, I should think about replacing the p/s fluid. Thanks, folks!

Ken

Chuck wrote:

Reply to
KWS

With 200k + Miles, I'd sort of expect the wear on the pump to be enough that a new one is in your future, or you just wait until the power steering becomes "weak", and then replace the pump. With new fluid and warmer weather, you may find that the effectivity of power steering is not what it should be, due to pump wear and fluid without all the stuff that accumulated over the years.

Reply to
Chuck