Downshifting

Except there is no such group.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Not intending to be argumentative, but it IS just a name. the reason it's "not as active" is beacuse it's not possible to post, or even subscribe, to it except on a handful of servers that are either broken, or carrying *EVERYTHING* so they can boast a high newsgroup count. (Those in the second category are the only place one can still find the mass of (dead) groups which, when assembled in the proper order, make a banner that reads "jerry garcia" in the grouplist window)

The "technically correct" (in terms of the mechanics of usenet) name for RAMMM is actually "rec.autos.makers.mazda-miata" - note the dash, rather than period. But due to a well-intended but poorly implemented idea that got put into action a few years back, a large number of "subgroups without a heirarchy" got created. RAMM (no third M) is one of them. RAMMM got a period instead of a dash, and RAMM ended up being an "orphan" group that's nothing more than a placeholder.

Assuming it was a functional group, I would. Since it's not, this is the closest there is.

Reply to
Don Bruder

No fight Pat - It takes two for that. If he wants to continue, he can - more power to him. But rest assured that his next "badmouth Don/Don's car/Don's choice of newsgroups etc" post will land him in my killfile, and that will be the end of the "war". If he wants to talk Mazdas, whether Miatas/MX-5s, 626s, or even the rather spiffy-looking new CR-7, great - I'm all for it. But I'm not going to put up with him trying to turn things into "Don doesn't drive a Miata so he doesn't belong here". That ain't what I'm here for. I'm here for the "zoom zoom", regardless of whether it comes in the form of a 626, an RX-7, or a Miata.

And that closes the subject, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Don Bruder

I think that we are still on the same page. The post did sound a bit elitist to me. I can see where it would not sit well. You are certainly welcome here no matter what car you drive. Owning a miata is not a requirement for posting on this group.

"A pizza delivery guy", "piloting a beater car that is not even a miata" did not come across well, that is for certain.

What is sad is that we are judged so much on what we do for a living and what it pays, what kind of car we drive and what clothes are wearing.

There are far more important things like who you really are and how you treat other people, especially in real life interactions and not from behind a keyboard and monitor.

When I spoke of hypocrisy, I was talking about myself. It is one of the most important things to me that I try to resist it, so I try to point out that I am not calling the pot black anytime I complain about something if I do it as well. If I want to complain about drunk drivers, I am on very solid ground. If I wanted to complain about people who argued and used personal attacks, I would be a hypocrite, because I have done that myself recently.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Don Bruder wrote in news:45517786$0$34555$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

Hogwash. I can read it and post to it, I did yesterday.

Again, it IS a functional group, I've no idea why you can't see it?

Reply to
XS11E

No, but a desire to discuss Miata-specific things is a requirement. Imagine the signal-to-noise ratio if everyone decided that RAMMM was just another Mazda forum.

Eh, I don't usually mince words, but do have to admit that I struggle to see what part I was wrong about.

The only thing he's being judged on his is choice of newsgroups; if Don drove a Ferrari Enzo and argued with me in a Miata forum, I'd feel the same way as I do now. The rec.* and alt.* hierarchies were established in a specific manner to avoid things like this, and many newsgroups are moderated for the same reasons. The short explanation is that rec.* groups are much more difficult to start than the alt.* groups in an effort to keep the "noise" in the proper place, and as such, the rec.* groups tend to be much more useful. I'm just trying to keep it that way.

Reply to
tooloud

Maybe not on *your* server, but it's clearly on mine, and Google finds it pretty easily, too.

Reply to
tooloud

Not on any properly configured server.

There's nothing in that group at Google except spam. That's because it's a bogus group and if you _do_ manage to find a broken server that shows it as a group, posts won't propogate to Usenet in general. So, the only way postings show up in that group on Google is when they're posted _on_Google_ -- usually by spam-bots.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

It's not a bogus group. It shows on my server, there is no spam in it and my post of a couple of days ago shows up.

It apparently is not currently archived on Google, Google shows very old posts and none of the newer posts.

Reply to
XS11E

Just because your sever is mis-configured, that doesn't make it a valid group. I could set up a news server that has any group I want. That doesn't mean it's going to be carried or propogated by any other server.

Gee, I wonder why?

Oh yea, I already explained why.

Because it's not a valid group.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

No, the problem seems to be that you can't accept reality. It is a valid group, there are recent postings, etc. etc.

Anyway, I'm done, please feel free to continue demonstrating your ignorance.

Reply to
XS11E

I would hope that everyone involved would note that I didn't take exception to that part. It's simply restatement of what I myself have said. (Although the "tone" in which it was delivered was a tad less than "wonderful" - and for the record, the beater car being spoken of *IS* at least a Mazda, even if it isn't a Miata)

However, you're doing so in a manner that's more "noisy" than any "incursion" on the group. Look, guy, the long and the short of it is this: RAMMM is the *ONLY* viable Mazda (of any flavor) newsgroup on any server I've encountered. RAMM is a "bogus" group that doesn't show up or get propogated on any properly configured server. Multiple server admins have told me exactly that when I've requested that it be added to whatever server I'm currently using. Not "just one", but at least 6 that I can recall. It's a dead "placeholder" that was created by the over-specialized creation of a "leaf" newsgroup before the "twig" group that should have been its "parent" became active enough to warrant creation of a subgroup. How this happened, I don't know, since, as you say, the rec.* hierarchy is SUPPOSED TO BE better regulated than that. But happen it did. This situation is one that you see all over the place in the alt.* heirarchy. Fortunately, it's much rarer here in rec.*, but rarer doesn't mean nonexistent - as is demonstrated by the existence of RAMMM but not RAMM as a viable group anywhere but servers that are misconfigured. Even Google doesn't archive anything but locally posted spam in RAMM - Because *THERE IS NO FEED TO ARCHIVE*.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Don Bruder wrote in news:45535ec3$0$88622$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

Wrong. Nothing bogus about it or the recent posts or replys.

Ask your news server to carry it.

Reply to
XS11E

Uh huh. You're right, everybody else is wrong. Sure.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Try this, I'm right and a few others can't figure out how to ask their newsservers to carry another group.

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote in news:Xns987682A2E7095xs11eyahoocom@69.28.186.120:

I should have said, "I'm right as are all those posting to RAMM."

Reply to
XS11E

Sorry, Grant. I can't speak to its "validity", but RAMM carries legitimate posts on my newsserver and just a couple of spam posts as would be found in any group these days...

Reply to
Alan Baker

Alan Baker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.telus.net:

Screen shot, showing some older posts:

XS11E

The two servers I know about don't carry it. One of those (supernews) is one of the biggest news oursourcing services. Somebody else recently posted that they've checked with 6 servers that don't carry it.

It's common to not carry alt. groups until they're requested, but that's not usually the case for big-7 groups.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Sorry, but I don't see that as definitive that the group must therefore be "invalid" any more than I see the fact that my newsserver (news.telus.net) carries it would make it "valid", but read on...

Actually, it's "big-8" now and I just checked their list of canonical (i.e. "valid") groups and rec.autos.makers.mazda is not among them.

Anyone who cares to check this out themselves, look here:

Reply to
Alan Baker