Tall Driver - Miata

I'm considering a 2006/7 Mazda Miata. At 6'2" will I have problems with the top down and looking through the windshield?

TIA

Jim

Reply to
Jim Becker

There are a number of people on here between 6 feet tall and 6'4" who are driving miatas without problems, though there are few 2006+ model owners here yet. You will probably have no problems with fit. I would go sit in and possibly test-drive one. That is the only way to be certain that it will be a comfortable car for you to drive.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Not unless you've got a 19-inch inseam.

-- Larry (6' 3.5")

Reply to
pltrgyst

Reply to
Chuck

He may not feel comfortable in it, but, unless he has other physical limitations, he could drive it.

I don't believe it. How long is his inseam? Mine is 35", which I agree is not all that long for 6'3-1/2". He probably can't just sit and slide in, as you would in a larger car, but then neither can I. You learn to get in by leading with the right knee until it's past the steering wheel, and then unfolding the leg to move the foot into the footwell. Once you're in, it's fine, with plenty of side support. I admit it does help to have driven Formula Fords for over thirty years. 8;)

But if you want to do it, you can get used to it, and be quite comfortable in the driving position. If you're desperate, you can have the steering wheel made removable, which I generally do in smaller cars. It's harder to do with today's electronic auto systems, but it can usually still be done.

Again, I'd have to see it to believe it, unless he's over 6'6" with a 40+" inseam, or the highest-waisted person ever born. Otherwise, if he has freakishly long shins, his thighs must be correspondingly short.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Well, on my old 92 the legroom on the passenger side was horrific. I think the ECU was under your passengers feet but, ya, sounds a bit exaggerated. You never know though. I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and fit fine in the NA and the NB cars, not allot of extra room but ....try them out and see what you think. I do have to duck down / over to see stop lights if I'm near the front of the stopped traffic but it's far from a huge inconvenience.

Chris

99bbb
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

The seat back thickness is the problem. A racing seat shell with minimum padding might give just enough room, or a removable or smaller steering wheel. Besides, The Miata has an intercooled FMII turbo (SBB), and in normal daily drive trim develops 180HP-- 220 if I plug in the boost solenoid. Gearing was also changed, so theoretical top speed went from 126 at red line to 144. Driving the supercharged Impala (05 SS) on occasion is enough for him. Besides, one more speeding ticket, and he walks.

Reply to
Chuck

That is one advantage to being smaller that I have found. At 5'9" with a slight build, it feels like they designed the car for me, putting everything exactly where I would have put it. I have never fit in any car better than the two M1 miatas that I have owned.

I have had more room in other cars, but never a layout as perfect as this is for me, from the steering wheel to the shifter to the leg length. It is one of the many things that attracted me to the car. The convertible top was actually about number 3 or 4 on the list.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'm 6-0" and not particularly leggy. I always find myself (top up) having to hunch down to see stoplights if I'm near the front of the line. But then there's another side to it - I don't seem to need sunglasses any more and during the winter no matter how low the sun is it's still above the roofline cutoff.

miker

Reply to
miker

pws wrote in news:D6I3h.6080$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

Otoh, I'm 6'2" (also slight build) and I'd swear they designed my M1 for me, I even have the seat several notches from the full-rear position. It's got a lot to do w/ body shape and how you like to drive. I like to be closer to the wheel/pedals than most. My dad at, 5'10", always moves the seat back when he drives after me.

The convertable was #1 or 2 on my list :)

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

I'm the same height and we just obtained a 2006. The top of the windshield obscures traffic signals. When I am stopped at an intersection - top up or top down - I usually have to tilt my head or lean forward to see the signals.

It's a comm> I'm considering a 2006/7 Mazda Miata. At 6'2" will I have problems with the

Reply to
CR

where do you live? in CA where i live, for me the top is down most of the time to begin with, plus the stoplights are placed lower such that it's seldom an issue.

"i can spell. i just can't type."

Reply to
barry

Thanks barry...I'm in SE Virginia.