Question about the Newsgroup

Hi folks I use AOL as my ISP (no bashing now LOL). However, I am changing my email address because I am leaving AOL. Question: How do the rest of you access rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata? Do you go through a paid subscription of some kind?

I've searched and searched, but cannot find access I want to continue reading this "group" when I leave AOL. I will be with another ISP using DSL.

Thanks! ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

You can access via Google Groups (formerly Deja News) using your browser:

I use Outlook. If you want to go this route, you need to get the server info from your DSL provider and update the information in your Outlook account.

I'm sure there may be other ways as well, but these are the only two I've used.

HTH...

Reply to
The Millers

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Expmiata) wrote in :

I use news.individual.net. It requires signup (see

but is free, and is more reliable and keeps oldarticles for longer than many ISP news servers. If you don't mind a web interface (much more cumbersome IMO) there's Google Groups
or
amongst othersif you prefer their old-style interface.

Reply to
Mathew Hendry

If you are using IE, you can access it from the e-mail program, under tools/Newsgroups. Netscape has their own newsgroup option. I am not sure about Mozilla. It all depends on what you are using to browse the web with. Your ISP should be able to help, call them. You do not have to pay extra for this.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Your ISP most likely runs a news server, so you would ask the ISP what the server address is and put it in the software you want to use to read messages. That may be a browser, for example, or a program like Forte Agent (I am using the pay version; there is also a more limited "Free Agent" version.) I would even think that maybe even MS Outlook Express (comes with Windows; may have to install it first from the Start/Setting/Control Panel/Add Programs,) would be able to download and display messages if you tell it the news server and clutch the computer box to prevent it from crashing.

Do not pay for any news group reading. Your ISP should have a free server. If not, get another ISP.

As noted by others,

allows you to read messages without setting up software and no news server, but you would be at their mercy for advertisements and such. It is a quick solution, but a dedicated news reader may be better.

Leon, still just fine on a plain phone line. :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

So, what do you do on that plain phone line? Is it for a tight rope act or somthing?

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Scott Hughes

As stated, I am being fine.

No, why? Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thank you! It does help :) ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

Thank you Leon! This is great! I sure appreciate it! :) ~Cissy :-)

Reply to
Expmiata

Hi everyone Well, I took the first advice I was given (no offence my dear Leon ;-)) I signed with Google Groups so I can access this great Usenet Group. Formerly snipped-for-privacy@aol.com but still Cissy :)

Reply to
pcazimuth

Welcome back!

Although, it's kinda like you never left...

;-)

Reply to
The Millers

~Cissy

Reply to
pcazimuth

I can confirm that Outlook Express works fine with newsgroups. Just add your ISP news server to the News tab under Internet Accounts. You can then subscribe to which ever news groups you like. It even tells you when there are new news groups.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Thank you Gus! I have chosen to go with Google Groups for now. But, I may change it later.

Does Outlook Express allow you to have an ongoing signature that automatically show with each post? I see Google Groups doesn't. Anyway, I am saving your post :)

Thanks!

Cissy '90 Crystal White

Gus wrote:

message

Programs,)

crashing.

Reply to
pcazimuth

But, I

that

I've been using OE for newsgroup reading for, well, ever! To add a signature, click on "Tools" then "Options" then on the tab marked "Signatures". You then have to click on "Insert" and then "Signature" to put it into messages.

-- Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Hey Iva, how goes it?

OE will also allow you to automatically attach your "sig file", but, then, it rides with all outgoing messages.

Just an FYI...

Reply to
The Millers

Thanks Iva! Only problem in trying to set up OE is I don't know who is my news server for my ISP. Guess I need to find one? LOL

~Cissy

90 Crystal White

Reply to
pcazimuth

Try plugging in "news.

Reply to
Don Bruder

They are running

news.sbcglobal.net canonical name = news.pi.sbcglobal.net

Try news.sbcglobal.net first. I cannot get an IP address, but you should not need one if you dial in directly to sbcglobal.

You may first have to get the list of available groups, and "subscribe" to rammm. If you cannot get the groups, you may have to login to the server. There should be an option for that in Crash Express, presumably in Tools/Options.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks Leon! I shall try that. :) LOL Man!

~Cissy

90 Crystal White

Reply to
pcazimuth