estimate for repairing back bumper cover

had a love tap from someone on the car's back corner, on the bumper. anybody replaced the bumper cover and can estimate my repair cost?

fptm

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician

$1000

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

fptm,

Assuming it didn't damage the energy absorbing system (which it most always does), replacing the cover alone is about $600 (and of course, the paint won't match)! If it damaged the system, could be upwards of $1500.00. These energy absorbing systems were designed to prevent low speed damage(?) but apparently they've accomplished just the opposite. Depending upon the year of the car, take the money and run.

Tom

92 Red

Fruit Pie the Magician wrote:

Reply to
Tom Howlin

It's a 1997 black Miata. This just happened this week. Two weeks ago, a rock hit the windshield and cracked it slightly. I think it's prime time to sell it as the family car curse is kicking in. If I don't sell it, there will be nothing but a gear shift bouncing down the highway in a matter of weeks.

For sale, as is. :-)

I don't think I can really justify fixing the car's growing issues -- I'm already losing my ass on this purchase already, unfortunately (It's a great car.)

Well, let me look at Edmunds.com while I'm typing. ;-)

Okay, 1997, black, tan leather, 46,000 miles, {feature list}:

Private Party sale: Outstanding: $8,152 USD Clean: $7,682 (-$470 from above) Average: $6,496 (-$1,656) Rough: $5,861 (-$2,291)

I'd say the car in its current state is Average

Issues: Needs set of new tires $400, rounded estimate. (Shocks?) Possibly new windshield if the crack grows beyond the 3-5" it is now (?) Bumper crap mentioned above ($600-$1000) [Everything mechanical is fine, knock on bloody wood.]

Amount owed on car: $5,325.06 Estimated cost to get it back to "Clean" condition, at most: $2100 [+/- $800] (bumper cap + windshield + tires + detail job + booze)

Reply to
Fruit Pie the Magician