Fixes

Well, I finally managed to stop the oil filter relocation kit from leaking. No more oil dripping from the lip. ;)

Also took a grinder to the other lip, on the frame next to the exhaust tip, and largely ground it away. I assume this will stop the squeal. I will let you know if not.

The plastic pipe I used to put the K&N air filter to my SC is not melting. The nut I replaced on the header/down pipe junction is still there.

Maybe *next* weekend I will actually be able to *drive* my car instead of fixing it. This is one of the best driving times in our area. :))

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Tom Howlin

I am thinking about it. I still do not really like the looks of M2 Miatas, but neither those of the competition. And a door sill low enough to put your arm on is essential. I want a convertible, not a container with no top. There goes the S2000, even if it did not look like a plastic toy car.

Still need to look closer at the Boxter, I guess.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Leon,

I've driven the Honda on numerous occasions and it's not for me because of the total lack of torque around town (personal opinion, no flaming from the cross-posting hondaphiles, please). The Boxster is sweet but it is NOT a DIY automobile and something about changing out 11 quarts of oil every change is intimidating as is the $340.00 "tuneup" from the Porsche dealer every 15K miles. I guess for those that can afford the price of entry, the price of upkeep is to be expected. It's just that having driven a Miata for 14 years now and gotten used to the almost zero cost of ownership, I don't think I could bite the bullet for a high maintenance vehicle (couldn't afford it anyway).

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

Maybe, but you only have to do it about every 15k miles, so that's kind of a wash.

Reply to
tooloud

I pay no attention whatsoever to the mileage on my Miata and change the oil when it starts making noise. Does Mazda recommend 5k miles for everyone, or is that the "perfect scenario" usage that excludes most people?

Anyway, the way I understand it is that on the Porsche boxer six engines, the oil creates a "bath" for the required parts and simply doesn't need to be replaced as often. That's the same reason the cars require so much oil.

Well, sure, and those are the guys that just take it to the dealer and tell them to take care of everything.

Reply to
tooloud

You know, I've wondered about that but would you really be willing to let your 45K sports car to 15K between changes? I mean, no one on this board seems to go the 5K recommended by Mazda on our cars, I would imagine Porsche fanatics are the same way about theirs, maybe going 7 or

8K between changes but not the 15K recommended. Although, a lot of the boxster drivers I see are after the bling and not the thrill of owning a sports car.

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

nrrt. Every 5K I change oil and rotate tires (3-4 times a year). Maybe everyone who brags about changing their oil changes it too often. I change the oil in my truck every November and it has 230K miles on it (though when it was my daily driver, I changed oil every

3-5K).

Joe

Reply to
Joe