gas fumes

I am getting faint gas fumes from my 95 with 80k. I cant find any leaks . Anyone have any suggestions to track down source?

Reply to
JR

Are you overfilling the tank? When the hose shuts off, pull it out and don't try to top it off.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

One poster in the past perceived the smell of the spare tire rubber as that of gas.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Scott

I've heard that if you replace your cat with a test pipe the odor of gasoline will increase. I'm about to do that myself, so I'll find out for sure.

D>I am getting faint gas fumes from my 95 with 80k. I cant find any leaks

Reply to
DonB

The test pipe shouldn't increase the odor of gasoline, maybe exhaust, unburned hydro-carbons, etc.. but there isn't any raw gas going through there, otherwise you have one heck of an exhaust note (one time!). You may see some smoke depending upon oil usage which is burned by the catalytic converter but it pretty much takes a test sniffer to detect the abscence of a converter and even then, I've seen them pass emissions with flying colors with a straight thru (not in Calif. but in Maryland).

TOM

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

Reply to
Jim Untch

Since I'm about to install my test pipe, I appreciate your post! I'm in WV and may move back into MD in the near future, so that info is definitely pertinent. I'm already bemoaning the fact that I must confront the front license plate issue; not having to uninstall my turbo setup would be a decided plus. I've heard the pipe may increase the noise, and my son claims it would increase the "automotive" smell from the exhaust (not necessarily just gas, but he claims an odor which more recalls the older days of roadsters. All of which is acceptable to me as long as the noise increase doesn't incense the local populace.

DonB

Reply to
DonB

This is one of the few failures I had in the '90. Turned out to be a leaking gas line at the fuel injectors. In the '90 1.6L, these are the guys that get in your way when you reach in for the fuel filter.

Once diagnosed, it was an easy fix. Be certain to use gas line that is designed for fuel injection (i.e. high pressure) applications.

Best,

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Ref: ".... the fuel filter". What ? Where ? My 1.6 (1991) has the fuel filter back just in front of the right rear wheel, under the car! :-) I didn't see any "injectors" back there.

Did you mean the "pressure regulator" ? It is up there on the fuel rail, but it is not a fuel filter.

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Ken, Did you mean the "oil filter" that the fuel lines get in the way ????

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

I really should proof read my stuff more carefully. Yes Bruce....OIL filter. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
KWS