gas fumes

I am getting faint gas fumes from my 95 with 80k. I cant find any leaks . Anyone have any suggestions to track down source?

Are you overfilling the tank? When the hose shuts off, pull it out and don't try to top it off.
--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C

One poster in the past perceived the smell of the spare tire rubber as that of gas.
Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen :) Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)
To reply to me, the word Miata must be in the subject.
JR wrote:

I've heard that if you replace your cat with a test pipe the odor of gasoline will increase. I'm about to do that myself, so I'll find out for sure.
DonB

DonB wrote:

The test pipe shouldn't increase the odor of gasoline, maybe exhaust, unburned hydro-carbons, etc.. but there isn't any raw gas going through there, otherwise you have one heck of an exhaust note (one time!). You may see some smoke depending upon oil usage which is burned by the catalytic converter but it pretty much takes a test sniffer to detect the abscence of a converter and even then, I've seen them pass emissions with flying colors with a straight thru (not in Calif. but in Maryland).
TOM 92 Red
Since I'm about to install my test pipe, I appreciate your post! I'm in WV and may move back into MD in the near future, so that info is definitely pertinent. I'm already bemoaning the fact that I must confront the front license plate issue; not having to uninstall my turbo setup would be a decided plus. I've heard the pipe may increase the noise, and my son claims it would increase the "automotive" smell from the exhaust (not necessarily just gas, but he claims an odor which more recalls the older days of roadsters. All of which is acceptable to me as long as the noise increase doesn't incense the local populace.
DonB

Keep at it dude (trying to find the source). Start at the gas tank inlet, fuel filter, fuel line to the injectors, etc. Also, carry a small ABC fire extinguisher. If it bursts into flames, you might have a chance in saving it. If you don't have a fire extinguisher, and it bursts into flames, pull the engine hood release, but leave the hood closed. When the firemen arrive, tell them you've pulled the hood release (the cable burns through rather quickly). This way, they'll be able to open you're hood, without destroying the bodywork, and also keep fresh air from fueling the fire. Oh, by the way, I've been a paid city firefighter the past 17 years...I can't believe how many car fires I've been to, where the person tells me, "you know, I've been smelling gas fumes lately!" Good luck...jim

This is one of the few failures I had in the '90. Turned out to be a leaking gas line at the fuel injectors. In the '90 1.6L, these are the guys that get in your way when you reach in for the fuel filter.
Once diagnosed, it was an easy fix. Be certain to use gas line that is designed for fuel injection (i.e. high pressure) applications.
Best,
Ken

Ref: ".... the fuel filter". What ? Where ? My 1.6 (1991) has the fuel filter back just in front of the right rear wheel, under the car! :-) I didn't see any "injectors" back there.
Did you mean the "pressure regulator" ? It is up there on the fuel rail, but it is not a fuel filter.
Bruce RED '91
Ken, Did you mean the "oil filter" that the fuel lines get in the way ????
Bruce RED '91
I really should proof read my stuff more carefully. Yes Bruce....OIL filter. Thanks.
Ken