Can't open door

I've got a '91 model MX-5 / Miata. Yesterday I found I couldn't unlock the driver's door from the outside or inside. It's key lock only (no remote or central locking).

I'm figuring it's something fairly basic and straight forward to fix ... if I can get into the door, which is a bit hard since I can't open it. :(

I guess I could cut though the trim, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Andre Queree (Mr Q)

Looking at the trim in my car, it is not clear that you could not at least get it off in the area of the lock. There are instructions on miata.net in the garage section, but it tends to be arm rest, cup from the door opener, speaker grill (if separate), pull loose the clips by pulling the trim away from the door; lift panel up to release its top. Try passenger side first.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

You can indeed remove the door trim with the door closed - it just took a bit of shuffling. :)

The door's all fixed now. There was a small spring on the internal latch/lock mechanism which had broken - it was basically preventing the door from unlocking.

Reply to
Andre Queree (Mr Q)