God d*mned SUVs

Sure, but that's because they don't make as many hybrids as large SUVs. The sales numbers seem to suggest that while large SUV sales numbers are down, they're nowhere near as low as hybrid car sales. Couple that with gas prices going back down and the average driver's attention span, and you have a recipe for things to slowly turn around again.

Absolutely--GM restyled them for '07 and the numbers shot up, relative to what they had been selling. I think other manufacturers' sales have been down 15% or so.

But it's starting to cost *less* to drive them again, and I'm curious as to whether or not the hybrid sales will slow down, especially considering that many hybrids offer virtually no operating-cost advantage.

I honestly don't think the days of $1 gasoline are over if you account for inflation. The last time I paid less than $1/gallon was almost 15 years ago, and I think what we were paying over the last few years really wasn't all that outrageous. IOW, gasoline was expensive only because it had been so cheap before.

That said, I've got no problem paying $3-4 for a gallon of gasoline. If that keeps some of the SUVs off the road, maybe we can all be happy.

I've added a child and two SUVs to the house over the last three years, which explains my recent reluctance to say that a Miata is fine as one's only car. One of the SUVs is driven 2k miles per year simply to haul dirty things and assist in home-improvement projects, etc. The other is an Infiniti FX, which I'll defend to the end if only because it handles and accelerates better than the average person's car.

I guess I'm starting to feel like I'm getting lumped in with the "idiot SUV drivers" when I feel that I'm being reasonably responsible in my vehicle usage. I needed a bigger vehicle than the Miata, and they don't make any performance-oriented minivans, so I ended up in an FX, which I think has the advantages of a car *and* an SUV, and my used Nissan, which rarely gets driven.

I'm trying to justify trading my '95 M-edition in on an '07 Miata PRHT or a used RX-8, but so far I've been unable to let go of the old car. I've been

*really* happy with it, to the point that I sometimes sit in it in the garage without even going anywhere.

Don't worry; I'm still a Miata geek. ;)

Reply to
tooloud

Sorry to snip so much of your post. We agree on a lot there. I know that a miata, or any two-seater for that matter, is not good as an only car for a family. That said, my parents managed to raise 3 of us, all born within 5 years, without a SUV. I also remember a lot of home improvement projects.

They did get a custom van later, which I consider far superior to a SUV because it can actually hold something large. Try putting a full-sized washer and dryer in a SUV at the same time. It was great for partying in too. ;-)

Your Infinity FX is not a SUV by my definition. It has no real off-road capability and it shares far more similarities with a station wagon than it does with a truck. In other words, made for the street rather than for off-road, and it would handle better and get better gas mileage still if they had designed it to sit lower than it does. It has more curb clearance and under the body air gathering space than I need. I wouldn't mind having one, but I would call it my big station wagon.

No, you are more intelligent than that. It is also true that idiots will drive any vehicles, but I must admit, on a recent 50 mile journey home I kept track of truly bonehead manuevers by other drivers and every single one of the 25 or so that I saw was by a driver in a SUV or pickup truck.

Man, I don't even do that!

Very good to hear. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

You'd be surprised at how close you could get to that feeling with a Ferrari Enzo or McLaren F1 or the like. I'll bet that money would probably be the limiting factor in this before the law would.

No one blinks an eye at golf carts on city streets here.

Reply to
tooloud

Having never driven either, I can't commment on comparison, I think that the Formula One car is still going to have a massive advantage in power to weight ratio. Since I mentioned driving it on the street, that could cause some problems for the Formula car, it depends on the street. Of course, you don't want to take a McLaren or Enzo down pothole alley at 150mph either.

No question, I do not have the means to drive a Formula One car. If I did, however, the next limiting factor would be either loss of driver's license or loss of life.

The cops will blink their flashers at them here as they pull them over. That is assuming that they haven't been crushed by a monster SUV before that. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

You might want to try a street legal Caterham 7 or a Lotus Elise. Similar power to weight ratio as the Ferrari at a more reasonable price.

Abyss

Reply to
abyss

As much as I like my Miata, I think I'd lose interest in it pretty fast if I ever found a good deal on a well-cared-for used Elise.

Reply to
tooloud