How Fast in 3rd, 4th?

'91 Miata: I think I shift into 5th more than I should.

How fast can you drive continuously on the highway in 4th gear before you should shift into 5th? I usually shift into 5th when I go over 60 miles per hour.

How about 3rd, before going into 4th?

Pat

Reply to
Pat

It's more a matter of how fast you're accelerating than anything else. If you're poking along there's no reason to stay in the lower gear but if you're accelerating (maximum, or close to it) stay in the lower gear up close to the red line. Many people bump the rev limiter quite frequently. Mine doesn't jump in till about 7200, by then I've usually go on. The fun (the power) is definitely up there in the upper range, USE IT! My only other comment is keep up on your oil changes if you're going to wring it out.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I agree with Chris...The power in my '90 with 14 degrees timing and a fresh air kit comes on about 4200 rpms and pulls hard till the infamous rev limiter gets in the way. Chris is also very true in the oil category. You rev it fast and hard you need to change the crankcase oil more frequently. I run Castrol 20-50W changing it and filter religiously @ 3000 miles. I've got

134k miles and still running hard.

-- Jerry Randolph '90B Red Houston, TX

Reply to
Jerry

I shift up at 3000-4000 rpm ... The car gets too loud if go any higher and doesnt feel right.. feels like im damaging the car

-Sohel

Reply to
sohel katchi

*Much* faster than legal in the US. :)

If you are cruising at constant speed and do not need to have any power for speed changes, you should be in 5th to save gas. As a bonus, the car will be quieter and steadier. Lethargic in short.

I CANNOT STAND IT. I WILL STAY IN THIRD IF I CAN HELP IT!

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Wow. That's just where the party is getting started in a properly running Miata. Either you're too timid or there's something wrong with your car.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

I'm with Leon on this one, 3rd gear is where it's at!!! Great for passing in the 40-60 mph range.....Still lots of power for the Zoom-Zoom

-- Jerry Randolph '90B Red Houst>

Reply to
Jerry

I really like to move along, so I seldom shift at less than 6000rpm.

Reply to
Frederick Potts

No, just wasting it by not driving it the way it was designed to be driven.

SteveM

Reply to
Stephen Malbon

bull

you get poor gas mileage if you shift at 5000-6000 rpm EVERY SINGLE TIME

-sohel

Reply to
sohel katchi

what kind of gas mileage do you all get when u shift at 5000-6000 rpm?

Reply to
sohel katchi

Well below the dentists bills for grinding my teeth so much.

But I will shift at redline (about 7,500 rpm) if I get the chance, not at 5,500.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

What you're feeling is the engine reaching its powerband and doing its best. And yes, it's loud. Shifting at 4000rpm is fine if you're shifting for economy, but if you're looking to make the most of the car, shifting at 7000 or so is more like it.

If you always shift at 4000, you've effectively got an econobox with a drop top.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Yep. And your point?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

If you worry about gas milage get a VW Lupo 3L.

Sheesh!

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

I tend to shift above 5000 rpm and get 22 mpg on my stock '96. You can drive your car any way you want, but the statement that is was designed to run at high rpm is still true.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Reply to
Frederick Potts

Im driving in 5gear is much as soon as possible, save fuel, and waste it again in the weekend ;).

"Le>

Reply to
dingo

Is that better than a Toyota Prius?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I have recorded as high as 32, but on average I get 25-27 mpg. And I can assure you that I don't drive like your grandma. I've got three grand-kids they all beg to ride with Pa-pa in "The Baby Car". Roller coaster ride without the trip to Six Flags AstroWorld !!!!