Help identify squeal

Hi, My 92 Miata has developed a loud squeal at low RPMs, just above idle. It sounds like power stearing, only much louder. Car has 126000 miles on ot. It is so loud it is hard to isolate. It disappears completely when engine revs up and shows up at low rpm. Any ideas? I'm thinking water pump, but found no slop in any pulleys. Any comments welcome.......Joe

Reply to
Joe Drees

Possibly one of the timing belt idlers if they have never been changed or one of the accessory drive belts. Could also be a alternator bearing. I had some squealing after the last timing belt change..Discovered the loosening the belt just a tad stopped the irritating noise. just some food for thought.

Jerry Randolph Houston Texas '90 Red...

Reply to
Jerry

I'd vote for the water pump. I'd vote twice if this is the original water pump. Our '97 Protégé (1.5L) has a water pump that looks exactly the same as the Miata pump. It went out at 103K and also made a low rpm noise. When I removed it, there wasn't much slop in the bearing, even though it definitely did leak. Usually, one experiences the slop.

Live and learn. Probably the pump.

If the car is due for a timing belt; it's a great time to do the pump.

Ken

Reply to
KWS