How to stop the heat from entering the cabin?

My brother pointed out to me the there is heat coming from the gearshift area. Is there a way to stop this? It is really hot in the summer time

Reply to
spam_or Ham

Hmmmm...did just that and attracted a downpour. The water does an excellent job of cooling the entire console, but the radio's gurgling.

Actually, I've noticed a lot of heat from the console area in general and on a hot day (even with the top down) it can get uncomfortable, I agree. Placing a fountain drink in the cupholder results in a warm drink in short order. Anyone know any other ways to reduce the heat in this area? Mind you, it's an endurable price given the joy of driving a Miata! :)

Reply to
DonB

Replacing those shift boots does much to reduce the heat in that area. I didn't put a thermometer in the area, but drinks stay cooler much longer and the cabin is much more comfortable. Fresh turret oil may also have had some impact on the temp, but the boots likely had the most impact. Doesn't take real long to swap them out...at some point, my intention is to go back under the console and put some additional insulating mat around the tunnel.

Reply to
MBelanger

OK Don, I'm sorry for replying off the top of my head. I'm sometimes too qiuck to reply without thinking. Sorry.

Since your note, I've been paying particular attention to the console concerning heat. Since I have been watching for this console heat, I have not seen any in my Miata. (96 with auto tranny) I took it for a 100 mile ride this afternoon on some great winding roads with 89 degree outside temps and high humidity and my beer kept nice and cool in the holder. Just kidding...it was a can of high test Pepsi and it never got heated. As I was cruising along I kept feeling both sides of the console and I never had a warm feel. Perhaps a manual tranny might be different???????

OH....I have small comment about your about your downpour.

I love my Miata and I've only had it for about three weeks now. I have learned in that time that my Miata is a rain magnet. (not complaning) Until I got my Lil' Blu I was watering my garden every night around 7:00 pm. Seems that rain did not fall here in Maine when it was needed. Well......

Now I take "Lil Blu" out of the garage around 6:00pm every night (with the top down) and go for a ride. Mother nature seems to catch up with me about an hour later (she's a tad slow...but don't tell her that) and the rain falls. That seems to me the best of both worlds!

Wish I knew why your console is hot, but mine ain't!

Enjoy! (I do!!!)

JV

Anyone know any other ways to reduce the heat

Reply to
JV

John,

I'm in Tucson and I drive with the AC going 'flat out' and the top DOWN!!

Reply to
glenf