i think it's the clutch...

i think it's the clutch, i say that becuase my symptoms don't match perfectly with any of the symptom i've seen anywhere.

1) been progressing for about a week, just really got bad today, prior to today, i barely noticed any problems, it was even fine this morning. 2) smells like fried computer components 3) this afternoon -- started out fine, but had to push the RPMs up to about 4500 to get any significant acceleration. 4) this is when it got bad (had to leave it on the side of the road)

-- tried to cross hiway, put it in gear, let out the cluth, didn't move. engine still ran. let off the gas completely (with it in gear) and the car seemed to idle.

now i'm just praying it's not going to be really expensive.

Reply to
TekWiz

Sounds like a typical worn-out clutch to me. How many miles on the car?

I think that will depend upon your definition of "really expensive." If you do it yourself, the parts are around $150. An independent shop will probably charge $400-500. A dealer will be Really Expensive.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

and i'm curious, will it be the entire clutch piece, or just maybe the disk or release cylinder. or possibly the flywheel?

TekWiz

Reply to
TekWiz

At only 78k, you probably won't need a new pressure plate, but you will need the clutch disk, and I'd replace the pilot and release bearings while you have it apart. Also check the rear main seal and front tranny seal for leakage or deterioration.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Dealers have a Mazda clutch kit which includes the disk, pressure plate, and the bearings. It's $180 at Rosenthal Mazda (Finish Line Performance). There also seems to be a Mazda value clutch kit which is $50 cheaper. I don't know the difference between the two. Anyone?

-- Marcio Watanabe

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe