80 amp fuse update

The new fuse is in, and all is well. No more blown fuses after they drove it last evening.
Thanks, there is now another happy Miata owner in Austin. That was fast
and cheap.
pat

I don't recall what was causing the fuse to blow, did I miss that?
The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E wrote:

I promised not to tell on them. You can probably guess at it based on that.
If that doesn't do it, the only "repair" was a new battery and fuse.
Pat

Sounds like something involving jumper cables, a lot of sparks, and some unintentional welding.
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want the presidency
at so bad I can already taste

Not that something like that has ever happened to _me_...
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm not available
at for comment..
Grant Edwards wrote:

Bingo. I think this was a case of the clamps contacting each other, which is actually pretty easy to do with that small battery with very little room above the terminals.

It's especially easy in an NB when you're also trying to hold the trunk carpeting and other stuff up out of the way. I liked the NA battery access a lot better.
--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! MERYL STREEP is my
at obstetrician!
pws wrote:

OK. High up on the list of the dumbest things I've ever done was shorting across the starter and solenoid on my 1976 VW Rabbit to diagnose a starting problem. *Unfortunately*, the car was in gear and the emergency brake was off. *Fortunately*, I was standing off to the side of the car and not in front of it. Had I been in front I would have been pinned between the car and the chain link fence that stopped it from dropping over a 10 foot ledge.
Frank Berger wrote:

OK, what is everyone's dumbest thing done to or with an automobile?
This will take some thought for myself, as there are so many mistakes to choose from. ;-)
Pat

For me, it was changing oil and forgetting to replace the drain plug. I replaced the filter, poured in the first quart and noticed the puddle spreading out from beneath the car.
I knew instantly what I'd done and can't even begin to describe how stupid I felt....
The Usenet Improvement Project:
XS11E wrote:

I drained the antifreeze one time and drove off without filling the radiator when I was 16 or 17. Oops, that may be #1 for me as far as non life-threatening stupidity.
That van heated up very quickly. The engine was a 1982 Ford 300 C.U. straight six and it seemed to run fine after that, but I did not have it for that much longer either.
What exactly will that do to an engine/cooling system anyway? It was not driven far, but that can not have been good.
Pat
I was changing the spark plugs (probably for the first time on my own) on my first car and snapped one off and then realized that I had been turning it the wrong way! I had (an adult) neighbor who was a diesel mechanic (iirc) and I had to go over and ask for assistance. Of course, I just told him that I was trying to get it out when it snapped off! He was kind enough to help me and NOT to say anything that made me feel any more stupid than I already did UNTIL after he completed the job! Then he just looked me in the eye and said 'you were turning it the wrong way, weren't you?' I couldn't lie or deny it, he knew! I like to think that he said something like 'everybody does something like that one time' but, I can't say for sure on that ;-)
Oops, cd
Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

Of the posts so far I'm still dumbest, but I may be able to top myself twice. In high school I had two cars a '56 Dodge Coronet for about a year and then a '57 Chrysler Windsor I took to college. I don't remember which car it was, but the upholstery was all torn up. I was driving slowly down my street with a cigarette in my mouth. It dropped between my legs and disappeared into the upholstery. I couldn't fish it out and it started to burn. I had to get home quick and dump a bucket of water into the seat to put out the fire. A few days later, with the seat still wet and a plastic cover on it so I could drive, I was driving in about the same spot, rolled my window down a bit and flicked my cigarette out the window. It hit the top of the window, hung there for a moment and then dropped straight down, coming to rest outside the car against the window on the top of the door. I thought to dislodge it by rolling the window back up. Unfortunately, I cranked the wrong way and the window when down, sucking the burning cigarette into the door. A bit later, black smoke started coming out as insulation or something started burning. Back home, got the bucket.......
Frank Berger wrote:

We are only two months in, but I already nominate this one for best r.a.m.m.m. post of 2010!
Nothing coming out of my computer has had me laughing so much in a long time. That reminds me a lot of my parents. :-)
Pat
pws wrote:

Glad you enyoyed it. To add to my legacy - I'm in Israel visiting my daughter & family. Earlier today I was pushing a stroller with a box of books in it down a hill, lost my balance and fell forward. My football training kicked in and I tucked and rolled and popped up without a scratch. Not bad for a 62 year old.
Frank Berger wrote:

I just turned 40, and I don't think that I would have done any better, maybe not as well.
No football training though, I am sort of the anti-jock. My best sport is table tennis.....
pws wrote:

I used to play. Could never develop a decent serve. Can't win without one.

you're the man! 62 'years to your credit'
cd 99BBB

One of the problems with this group is it's infested with you kids. ;-)
The Usenet Improvement Project:

That's funny, old man ;-)
Chris (racing toward 50) 99BBB

Site Timeline