Intro

Hi, just found this NG, don't know why it took so long, as I have been active in rec.motorcycles for 13+ years and have owned Miatas for almost that long. I guess we're a Miata family... thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm in northern Virginia, USA, and my current Miata is a '97 M Edition, green with tan top & interior; 50k miles on it. My previous Miata was a red '92 that I bought back in about 1998 with 16k miles on it, drove it for two years, then my wife drove it for five years, and now my grown son has owned/driven it for the past five years. He still has it and it is still his daily driver with about 130k miles that he put on it in Blacksburg VA, Chicago IL, Dallas TX, and most recently in St. Mary's County MD.

My middle son has a 1990 Miata that was his street car until he started doing track days in it, then took NASA's High Performance Driving schools in it, then SCCA's licensing school, then took it off the street entirely, converted it to Spec Miata, and is racing in the NASA mid-Atlantic region this year, and currently is third in the SM standings with his 150,000 mile (head's never been off the engine) former street car.

I'm currently looking for a reputable, high-quality body shop in the greater Washington D.C. area to repair the left side of my Miata; damaged when I spun off the road in West Virginia in the rain in mid- June, when a truck spilled diesel fuel in the exit of a turn... and I was the first of several to hit it, lose control, and - in my case - fetch up against a stand of trees just off the road surface. My son (a Ford tech by trade) has realigned the car and found no chassis or suspension damage (the front left wheel hit a tree hard enough to ram tree bark under the tire bead and deflate the tire) and the car, thank goodness, drives beautifully.

The major impact was sideways, exactly where the driver's door meets the rear quarter panel, crushing the door and the door sill and latch area. Amazingly enough, the door still opens and closes, although the wndow will only lower about 1/3 of its normal travel before interferance from the crushed outer doorskin.

It needs the driver's side rear quarter panel replaced(!), the driver's door replaced, a small repair on the sill beneath the driver's door, and the driver's side front fender replaced or repaired. I'm planning to buy new oem body parts, since the car is pretty much perfect other than this damage.

I'm currently contacting local bodyshops that are highly rated in Washington Checkbook magazine, but any personal experiences and/or recommendations would be welcome.

Oh, and sorry that XS11E won't see this post, as I use Google Groups these days, and I see that he filters them out. I enjoyed his contributions to "Reeky" (rec.motorcycles) for many, many years.

Oh, other background information:

Previous sportscars owned:

1960 MGA 1969 Triumph GT6+ 1971 Triumph GT-6 MkIV 1971 Triumph Spitfire 1973 Triumph GT-6 MkIV 1992 Mazda Miata 2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Coupe

Current motorcycles:

2006 Ducati S4Rs Monster 2006 Harley FLHXI Street Glide 2000 Ducati 750SS 2006 Ducati 1000SS trackday bike 1967 Honda CL90 pitbike

Hauler:

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab LB, 8.1l, 2WD

Tim

Reply to
Tim M.

I see you do not list any British bikes. Did your experiences with MG and Triumph sports cars turn you off the idea?

Stuart H. Previous owner of 1959 Bugeye Sprite, 1961 MG Midget, 1977 MGB, numerous Austin saloons, 1990 Classic Red Turbocharged Miata, 1991 Silver Stone Silver Miata. Currently 1991 BRG JDM Eunos Roadster, 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI.

Reply to
Stuart H.

Hi, Tim. Where in NoVa?

I've had excellent results from Old Town Auto Body here in Alexandria. They were highly recommended to me by USAA.

Nice to see someone else who's conquered his life-long Triumph addiction. 8;)

-- Larry ('95 R)

Reply to
pltrgyst

Welcome... I also had a 60 MGA, wonderful memories there. And a 70 Spitfire, which was my first Brit car.

Had a few different 60's Triumph 650's back in the day. Besides my 96 Miata I currently ride an R100 airhead, Yamaha 500 single, and a CB160.

miker

Reply to
miker

Ah, OK. Are you a DC Mazda Club member?

Lots of potentialrecommendations there. Do you know Performance Buyers Club in Chantilly
They're highly recommended, and couldprobably give you a recommendation based on their primarily Miata experience.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Tim, Hey, I too want to say welcome to the group! Don't worry about posting from Google (I don't understand that issue, actually) as some of us even .......... TOP-POST! Probably some people ignore us 'top-posters' too ;-) What a great collection of bikes and cars have flowed thru your fingertips! You're a fortunate guy. What really strikes me is how many Miatas are thru-out your family! That's pretty sweet. I am always amazed at the numbers of Miata + bike folks there are. I really think it's a bit of a similar mentality. Maybe a love of wind in the hair and a willingness to (to some degree) risk life and limb for the sake of simple enjoyment of life! I look forward to your future posts! I wish I had the British car ownership experience but, missed out on that one. I did get into sports cars way back, with a '73 240Z and later got adventurous (and well served) with a Renault Fuego Turbo! I always tell people that I went from motorcycles to sports cars to sport coupes to sport sedans to sedans and even the dreaded (though, I had the best in the Mazda MPV) minivans and have been working my way back! My first Miata being a Black and Tan '92 and current being a '99 Black / Black / Black (BBB).

Later, Chris

99BBB

"Tim M." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g23g2000vbr.googlegroups.com... On Aug 14, 9:51 am, "miker" wrote:

Hi Mike, sounds like you really like the classics! I've had two Yamaha SR500s over the years; my '79 I put in White Brother's 542cc big bore kit, high compression piston, street cam, Kerker header pipe, Ducati 750GT Conti muffler, 36mm Mikuni carb, converted it to XS650 wire wheels with shouldered alloy rims, stainless steel brake line, fork brace, Koni shocks, Progressive Suspension fork springs, RD350 (round) taillight, and R90S handlebars. It weighed 340 pounds with a full tank of gas, and that bike was a blast to ride! My 1980 was bone stock, and a bit more sedate, but also a bit easier to start and WAY better on gas!

Tim

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Sounds like a great bike! I did the spoke wheels on mine last winter, using XS650 front complete, and an XS650 rear rim on an SR400 rear hub. Motor stuff is still stock except for a glassbak, but someday I'll get to it. :)

miker

Reply to
miker

The Fuego Turbo had a really nice suspension also. Like you say about the R5 and a (stock ;-) Miata, some body roll but good grip. One of the best features was it's seats! Hugely comfortable and with monster side bolsters on the back rest. I think it was the Alliance that was a pretty decent little car around that time. Actually, I just checked and it was Motor Trends Car of the Year in 1983! They followed up that success with a horribly ugly car that they ironically called the 'Encore'! I don't think they survived that 'Encore'! What was the European version of the R5 that they put mid-engine and turbo? Quite a hotrod for its' day! I would love to drive the current Clio Sport, it seems to be quite a decent car. Somehow, I don't think Renault will ever 'make it' here!

Hope the Miata comes out great! Chris

99BBB

Thanks, Chris. I dropped my Miata off last night at what struck me as the best of the four autobody shops I visited. They say it will be a

10-day repair, and I told them not to rush it - I can drive my truck or ride a motorcycle while they fix it properly!

Good to meet another former Renault owner. I had a '78 school bus yellow R5 that was my first ever new car - $4,007 out the door; and killed by a hit and run driver when it only had 3,200 miles on it. Three years later I was finally able to replace it with a 1980 R5. It was a boring tan color but had more equipment than the stripper '78. Those were great cars, let down by a terrible reputation in the U.S. But, oh that sweet French suspension... the body would roll and roll and roll but the chassis stuck tight, and - a lot like a Miata - you could drive them around all day at full throttle and never attract the "wrong kind" of attention!

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo