Mazda3 - zoom zoom in a FWD

Went test-driving last weekend, thought I'd share some impressions.My criteria (as I mentioned before) are:

MOST importantly, fuel economy. This is CRITICAL, as I drive 500 miles a week.

I need the ability to have two full-size adult passengers - the other two guys I want to carpool with are about 6' tall.

Some zippiness couldn't hurt.

So my fiancee and I went out and looked.

First on the list was the Mazda3. We went to the Mazda dealership, planning on looking at used cars, and the selection was non-existent. So I succumbed and we tried out a Mazda3. It was the "i" model with the 140hp engine. It was surprisingly zippy! Clutch feel was light, throttle was responsive, and I loved the shifter feel. It felt ... heavy. Not heavy like stirring pancake batter, but heavy like a 3/4" drive Snap-On ratchet. Just very solid. I liked it. Handling was good; I didn't take the car to the limits, but zipping around, it felt quite nimble, even with three passengers.

Then we tried an Aveo. Yes, this is the teeensy-tiny Chevy. It was reasonably comfy inside - I even tried the back seat, and there was room. Not a lot, but there was room. Handling was unexciting, but OK. Biggest problem was power. It simply wasn't there. At 70 on the interstate, I floored it and nothing happened. No jump, no motion... and after a few seconds, the speedometer began a languid ascent to 71. I was disappointed.

Next were a couple of VW TDIs - a Beetle and a Jetta. Pretty much the same car with the same engine and different appearance. Both were surprisingly peppy for a small diesel, and I've always liked the handling of VWs.

Finally, I drove a Mini. Woo, it was fun. It was a LOT of fun. In fact, it reminded me of my first *wistful look* drive in a Miata. The wheelbase is SO short, you feel every pebble and the car responds at the speed of thought. I liked it, but it's more than I can really afford right now, and it is really tiny. Back-seat passengers would not have been pleased.

I think that it's going to have to be a TDI, just for the mileage. I may get one and put some miles on it, then sell it for a Mazda3 if my commute situation changes. If mileage wasn't such a big concern for me (49 mpg in a TDI!), I think the Mazda3 is an impressive example of putting zoom-zoom in a bigger vehicle.

Reply to
FrinkLemur