Miata as a toad

I am seriously considering towing my 1990 Miata (first owner, I've had it
since June '89) behind my motorhome. I am fairly confident that no
modifications ( tranny lube pump, driveshaft disconnect) are required. My
concern is with the odometer racking up mileage. Is the speedo cable
driven from tranny output or is it electronic? I would check for myself
but the Miata is in storage for the winter and inaccessable. If it is
cable is there an aftermarket conversion to electronic available?
Reply to
FredC
I believe it is mechanial, that's one of the reason they start vibrating some after a number of years and there are instructions for replacing the cable. I can only assume it is likewise gear driven at the other end as well and thus would accumulate mileage while being towed.
Tom 92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin
I bought a '97 last year, and towed it this summer for about 3,000 miles with no ill effects. Sad to say, it did rack up miles, but since I plan to keep it indefinitely I decided not to worry about it... only problem is guessing when to do lubes and periodic maintenance.
Reply to
Roger Scow, Sr
To be honest, I always questioned the concept of disconnecting odo's on towed cars..
Just because the car isn't being driven doesn't = no miles being put on it...
the wheel bearings, rear end, tires, shocks, tires, and even the transmission in some cases are all racking up miles. Just not the motor.
That said... places like Camping World sell odo disconnect kits you can hook up so you can disconnect the odo remotely . you might check into that.
Oh, and YES the 90's had a physical cable, not electronic speedo.
Reply to
Chief_Wiggum
Bad idea.
1. The gear oil in the transmission will not be circulating because the output shaft is ABOVE the oil level. It is the gearing down IN the oil that transfer the oil to the output shaft and they are driven by the input shaft.
2. You'll get a lot of gravel dings on the nose, hood and possibly windshield.
3. Odometer will rack up miles; however you can just pull the instrument pod out and disconnect the cable from the head unit.
While it is ok to flat tow a MANUAL transmission in an emergency, for your purposes an auto trailer would be the correct solution. You could get by with a dolly under the rear wheels but then the damage noted in 2 above would be on the rear area.
Dennis B. Swaney remove .zz to reply
Reply to
ROMAD
If you're not putting it on a flatbed, and plan on towing it with all four wheels on the ground, you DO need to disconnect the driveshafts. Leaving it in neutral is generally a bad idea if you plan on traveling for quite a distance. I'm sure it would be fine if you are only driving a few miles, but if you're concerned about mileage racking up, it sounds like you're going far. Also, locking the steering column with the stock lock to keep the wheels perfectly straight ahead is not strong enough. You need an aftermarket column locker; I'm not sure where you can get one but I know they exist. If you're not towing on all four wheels, you can tow with the rear wheels lifted in a wheel supporting sling (do NOT lift by the frame) with the front wheels rolling. That would be the way to tow without any disconnections. This is where your steering wheel needs to be locked straight ahead. Good luck
~Anthony
Reply to
Anthony

Site Timeline Threads

  • I have a Bra for a 99-04 Miata. I need 1 that has the whole for the Fog lites...

    Mazda Miata