Miata security system question

My '95 R has a small security keypad -- decimal numbers plus asterisk and pound sign and two leds, red and green -- about two inches long, one and a half inches wide, one inch thick. Black, with white quarter-inch-square numeric keys in a standard telephone pattern. It velcros to the transmission tunnel at the base of the center console, and has what looks like a black six-conductor flat cable disappearing up under the dash.

The system requires a four-number code followed by the "#" sign to activate the ignition. I received no documentation about this system when I bought the car used in '96 -- the dealer professed ignorance.

Does anyone else have this kind of security system on a Miata? Can anyone provide a pointer to documentation or to the manufacturer?

Thanks -- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst